Staff editorial: Just joking?

By Editorial Board

Last Thursday, Illinois State Senate President Emil Jones, D-Chicago, in response to a reporter asking him how he planned to eliminate Chief Illiniwek, said, “I’m going to scalp him.”

For someone who has been a vocal advocate for civil rights and racial sensitivity, and who has made getting rid of the Chief almost a personal cause, making jokes that reinforce racial stereotypes is reprehensible.

Jones’ anti-Chief stance came into the spotlight in April 2004 when he met with anti-Chief representatives from the University. Comparing members of the Board of Trustees to segregationists, Jones demanded the University retire the controversial mascot. During that same conversation, he also insinuated he would block the University’s state funding if the Chief was not retired.

Thus, it surprises us that as an advocate for racial sensitivity, Jones could be so insensitive. While not only being racist, he just put his credibility as one of the leading politicians in Illinois on the line. Those five words are counter-productive to getting rid of something he thinks is promoting the stereotyping of American Indians – especially for someone who came close to holding hostage almost $700 million in state funding for the University if it doesn’t get rid of the Chief.

What’s particularly striking is that Jones should really know better – and not just because he’s from a minority culture, either. There have been plenty of cases in which a supposedly light-hearted or thoughtless remark have been the downfall of bright political careers. Chester Trent Lott, U.S. senator from Mississippi, made a comment on Dec. 5, 2002 about how he was proud to have voted for Strom Thurmond when he ran for the U.S. presidency in 1948. Thurmond’s primary campaign issue? Perpetuating racial segregation in the United States.

The ensuing uproar was so great that Lott resigned from Senate Republican leader on Dec. 20, 2002. It came up in the ruckus that Lott had a history of supporting segregation in college as well as making similar off-the-cuff remarks at different points in his career.

Jones has not had such a history, however, and for him to resign over this particular comment would be extreme – especially considering his record. His actions as a legislator and state senate president, and the fact that he has no history of making racist remarks, suggest that it was probably just a one-time deal. Nevertheless, we feel that a proactive public apology is necessary. If anyone should not be making racist jokes, it’s him.

Instead of joking around, Jones should actively be sitting on the Board of Trustees’ respective heads to get rid of the Chief. If he really does not want his tax dollars to continue supporting the Chief, he should take a more active role in opposing the Chief – such as coming to Champaign once in a while to support the Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative and other anti-Chief groups. If he truly opposes the Chief, he should be actively implementing methods to actually get rid of the Chief instead of spouting continuous passive commentary from Springfield.

Public figures, especially politicians, are supposed to be held to higher standards. Their responsibility to the public includes being extra-sensitive, even if they are trying to be friendly with the media. They shouldn’t confuse the public by condemning others for doing something they do not restrain themselves from. And, most importantly, they should never – under any circumstances – make any racist comments, even in the form of jokes.

All in all, that joke was in poor taste, Mr. Jones. Shame on you.