The balance of the blogs

By David Johnson

The “new media” is revolutionizing the way Americans receive and perceive current events. Of course I’m referring to bloggers, the hermits who toil away day and night maintaining their Web logs, a sort of online diary for the public good. Forty years ago, TV replaced newspapers as the new, visual media, and the popularization of television had a dramatic impact on public opinion and public policy. For example, TV news personalities opposed U.S. policy in Vietnam, broadcasting body bags and burned-out villages into homes each night, until the war became a “quagmire.” Now, blogging has led to two interesting reversals – the return of the primacy of the written word and of reporting that supports those in power. Today, bloggers are helping Bush and the Republican Party cement their current hold on power.

On one hand, conservative bloggers continuously discredit traditional adversaries of the Republican Party in TV media, immediately publishing rebuttals when TV media errs in judgment. On the other hand, left-leaning bloggers pull the Democratic Party to the left, therefore farther from mainstream America. With traditionally liberal TV sources illegitimized, and an ever more out-of-touch rival party, the Republicans face an increasingly favorable future.

CBS and CNN have long had reputations as liberal-leaning media outlets opposed to Republican policy. CBS’s Walter Cronkite was famously open in his opposition to the Vietnam War; today, Ted Turner produces no shortage of sound bites displaying disdain of conservatives. Yet over the last six months, the online blogging media were crucial in exposing instances in which these TV news outlets were responsible for blatant dishonesty. Last fall, CBS ran a story criticizing President Bush’s National Guard service, based off obviously forged memos. Just a couple of weeks ago, CNN’s chief news executive Eason Jordan stated that U.S. forces were intentionally targeting journalists in Iraq. This sort of dishonesty would not have been exposed to the public were it not for bloggers who proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that CBS’s documents were forgeries. Bloggers incessantly called for Jordan to come clean about his remarks or produce evidence that they were taken out of context.

Instead of coming clean after being called on for deception, both CBS and CNN got defensive. The end result is that an objective viewer can no longer confidently trust their reporting. Bush and Co. couldn’t be happier; even if CBS or CNN run a story rightly exposing faults in the administration, few would or should blindly believe them.

Meanwhile, the Republicans can kick back and watch the Democratic Party self-destruct, as evidenced by their recent selection of Howard Dean as chairman. While Dean might otherwise be considered an isolationist Libertarian in terms of public policy, his over-the-top rhetoric marks him as a barking moon bat of the most radical stripe. Dean’s passionately ridiculous verbal attacks against Republicans were best summarized two weeks ago – “I hate Republicans and everything they stand for.” His selection as chairman only confirms that the Democrats now have an entirely negative message – they hate Republicans, and they oppose all Republican policy initiatives.

Dean’s selection as DNC chairman came as a result of concerted efforts by left-wing bloggers to discredit and destroy all other contenders. Bloggers circulated written hatchet jobs, and potential candidates such as Tim Roemer had to defend themselves before even officially declaring their candidacy.

This is all noteworthy because it suggests the current power shift towards the Republicans will continue unabated. Approximately half the country might consider this prospect rosy, but the other half should be alarmed that their views are increasingly irrelevant. Support of TV media allowed many liberals to avoid any public scrutiny for outlandish rhetoric and even the occasional blatant lie, a luxury the Republican Party hasn’t enjoyed. The new media are finally leveling the playing field. Those on the left must speak pragmatically, as well as positively and honestly, if they hope to restore a balanced democracy.