Column: Lessons learned in Vegas

By Chris Kozak

As a second semester senior with no class on Friday, I don’t feel bad taking a weekend getaway from time to time. This weekend was no exception, as I traveled to Las Vegas with a few friends from other parts of the country. Therefore, I thought it might be fun to share some of my tips and reviews with everyone – especially those who are going out there for spring break, or later this summer.

n The House usually wins

I know, just because I’m returning home with more money than I came with, doesn’t mean that’s going to happen every time. I’ll probably lose it all back and then some the next time I go out there. One thing to definitely keep in mind, however – if you’re going to bet on sports, Vegas knows what it’s doing. Be careful. I can’t stress this enough…

n Know when to get up from the table

If you want to keep your money – and your sanity – you need to know when to call it quits. On Friday at Caesar’s Palace I won my first five hands of blackjack. In hindsight, this would have been a great time to stand up and leave (especially because the table minimum was higher than I was comfortable with). But no, I let it ride, and I was taken for a ride – to the tune of all the money I brought to the table. Also, when you have a 20 with the dealer showing a 5, and she pulls out a five-card 21, it’s another sign to head for the exits.

n Hard Rock rocks

If you’re looking for a night away from the Strip and an exciting atmosphere consisting of people who all seem to be under the age of 30, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is the place to be. Celebrities like Dennis Rodman and Ben Affleck are known to frequent the Hard Rock, which boasts a much smaller casino than the Strip properties. Unless you like great swimming pools and really want to stay at a place off the Strip, I’d advise against actually staying at the Hard Rock on the weekend – unless you’re willing to shell out over $200 a night.

n Milk the free drinks

I took this one to heart at 5 a.m. on Friday at the New York-New York Hotel & Casino. As long as you’re tipping (and gambling), the free drinks keep coming. However, if you’re playing craps, and don’t want to be constantly yelled at by the croupier, remember to hold the dice with one hand and to not hold your beer over the table – two simple tasks I failed numerous times. Maybe they were just upset that some drunken college kid in desperate need of sleep rolled 7-7-11 on three consecutive shots.

n Get in line early

For those who enjoy a good nightclub, they get crowded very quickly, especially on the weekends. Getting to MGM Grand’s Studio 54 at midnight is a great way to ensure you’ll be standing in line for the next few hours. In addition, be prepared to pay an obscene amount of money for cover. When we got to Risqu‚ 45 minutes before last call, they were still charging $20 a head. Needless to say, we passed on that “opportunity” and drank at Aladdin for a decent price. Sadly, the good deal was offset by a horrendous cover band playing Britney Spears and Smash Mouth.

n Fremont Street Experience is for fogies

This might be too extreme a generalization after spending countless hours at Bellagio and Caesar’s, but Fremont Street definitely appeals to the older crowd. The laser show is mediocre, but I would certainly recommend a visit to anyone who’s interested in seeing and learning more about historic Las Vegas. The Golden Nugget and Binion’s Horseshoe are classic casinos, and great food specials can be found all over.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Las Vegas is the party capital of the United States, so a lot of what we experienced is unfit for print. But, if you’re really curious for more info, just drop me a line. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” is rule I won’t follow.