Column: CHAMP-aign style celebration

By Chuck Prochaska

As the clock ran down in the second half of Saturday’s Illinois-Louisville Final Four game, Joe’s Brewery was going insane. With each uncontested Luther Head three-pointer or Roger Powell jump shot, the sea of orange grew increasingly aware that the Illini were headed for the National Championship game.

Then someone shouted, “Let’s go to Green Street!”

Upon reaching the intersection of Fifth & Green, my friends and I were swept away by a steady stream of rowdy students heading east. Forgetting the sidewalks, a block party ensued in the middle of the street leading to the intersection of 6th & Green. Thrusting forefingers into the air and chanting “Number 1” and “ILL-INI,” the students had taken over campus.

I want to know who the guy was that jumped into that intersection, halted traffic, and hailed the crowd into the street. Whoever that brave soul was – thanks dude, you’re awesome.

Even my girlfriend’s father, who was in town for the game with his family, charged ahead into the crowd to take photos and celebrate with the students. In this flurry of crowd surfing, Tigger-suit clad fans, and high fives that spilled past the Alma Mater and into the Quad, I heard someone yell, “Roger Powell for Pope!” and even saw a priest in his Illini jacket on his cell phone declaring, “You will never believe what I’m looking at!”

At the steps of Foellinger Auditorium, the biggest pro-Chief rally ever was kicked off with about 5,000 people chanting “Save the Chief!”

Everyone in the streets shared a common bond – we could finally celebrate a season that has met all of our expectations – with one left to go. The party lasted long into the night – but unlike other universities who experience athletic success, our celebrating was appropriate and dignified.

On this same night, Michigan State University lost to the University of North Carolina in the Final Four. The Spartans fell apart down the stretch, and a Cinderella post-season came crashing down for the students of East Lansing.

More than five dozen Michigan State students were arrested as police clad in riot gear used tear gas to contain mobs as couches and garbage dumpsters were set ablaze. The violence was minimal and few injuries were reported; however, the Spartan fans took their mourning and anger to an unacceptable level.

When Ohio State University won the national football championship in 2002, massive rioting ensued in the streets of Columbus, as students shattered windows of local businesses, overturned and burned cars, and resisted police efforts to contain the mob by throwing any objects they could find at police.

This historic college riot has been the subject of much scrutiny since its occurrence and has been used by police everywhere, including Champaign and Urbana, to study effective riot prevention techniques. I thank and congratulate the Champaign and Urbana police departments for handling the events on Green Street and the Quad appropriately.

But more importantly, given the low expectations our nation has come to have for behavior in impromptu celebratory gatherings, it’s an incredible reflection on the University that our celebrations caused no damage, no injuries, and did not require significant police action. Congratulations, Illini, on being a class act and proving that we can celebrate with dignity.

As I went to bed Saturday night, completely forgetting to turn the clock forward, I reflected on several things. I knew we were headed for our first national championship on Monday. I knew that drunk people will never get tired of calling “I-N-I” back to a randomly yelled “I-L-L.” And I knew that I was proud of my team and my school for dominating the Louisville Cardinals and celebrating our victory in a crazy but respectful way.

As this column goes to print, hopefully we will be celebrating a national championship, too. But no matter the outcome Monday night, I hope, in the words of Ron Burgundy, “You stay classy, Champaign.”