Point and Counterpoint: Security starts at home and Taking of-fence

By Jeff Myczek and Eric Naing

Point: Security starts at home

In a recent vote, the U.S. House of the Representatives passed a bill which, for the first time in recent memory, addresses the rampant problems inherent in the U.S. immigration system. The bill, which is by no means perfect, is nonetheless a positive first step in the effort to strengthen border security, curb illegal immigration, and enforce the laws of the country.

The main provision of the bill calls for the construction of roughly 700 miles of border fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border, particularly in areas where illegal border crossings occur often and armed drug cartels commit crimes across borders. One particular area targeted is near Laredo, Texas, where according to KVOA-TV in Tucson, Ariz. officials estimate nearly 140 murders a year are related to cross-border gangs. According to the Washington Times, supporters of the bill point to a recent fence built near San Diego, which they claim has decreased illegal crossings, smuggling, and cross border crime as evidence showing that border fences indeed work.

Other parts of the bill call for employers to provide Social Security numbers for all employees, an end to “catch and release” policies for non-Mexican illegal aliens, and making a DUI offense grounds for deporting an illegal alien. Perhaps the most controversial part of the bill would change the criminal classification for an illegal alien from a civil offender to a felon.

In today’s age of security concerns and the war on terror, we must realize that homeland security begins here at home. The presence of a huge, high-crossing, unprotected border is an unacceptable risk to the people of our country – if gangs can smuggle weapons, drugs and commit cross-border murders with ease, what is preventing someone from smuggling a nuclear weapon or some other weapon of mass destruction into our cities? The best way to stop such an event from occurring is to end undocumented travel across the border, and a guarded, multi-layer fence would go a long way to solving that problem.

The other parts of the bill are simply common sense. Deporting an illegal alien who commits a DUI would protect the lives of citizens of this country. Ending “catch and release” policies would work towards curbing the movement of undocumented persons who could potentially pose a security risk.

While some might argue that the bill is unfair to immigrants already in the U.S., the bill does not call for the unfeasible and inhumane deportation of the estimated eight to 11 million illegal immigrants currently living and working in the country.

When considering any law that involves immigration reform it is important to remember the human side of the issue, and in that regard it is perhaps going too far to classify illegal aliens as felons. Unfortunately, the bill also does not address the topic of providing temporary documentation for guest workers, something that is clearly an integral part of any immigration reform. Nonetheless, the government must do its best to discourage undocumented entrance into the country and encourage legal, documented immigration – a concept nearly everyone can agree on. A sovereign nation must protect its borders and citizens, and a border fence and a strengthening of laws concerning illegal aliens is a logical first step.

Jeff Myczek is a junior in LAS. His column appears Thursdays. He can be reached at [email protected].

Counterpoint: Taking of-fence

In the 1993 movie “Coneheads,” Michael McKean plays an INS officer who wants to build a laser fence to keep out immigrants. Hilariously or tragically, the House of Representatives recently approved a bill that would do the same thing, minus the lasers.

The controversial bill would create a 700-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. It also would create harsher penalties for employers of undocumented immigrants and would classify all those immigrants as felons.

This fence idea has been tried before and it failed. Operation Gatekeeper, in 1994, created a fence between Tijuana and San Diego and massively increased border patrol forces costing $1 billion. The result was a paltry one percent decrease in illegal crossing attempts and a staggering six-fold increase in the death toll for immigrants trying to cross the border.

Along with being completely ineffective and costly, a fence would result in the loss of wildlife habitat and would only force illegal immigrants to find more dangerous routes to the U.S.

As for the other part of the bill, turning all undocumented workers in the U.S. into aggravated felons would only put undue hardship on hardworking people including nearly two million children. It also would put legal pressure on religious and humanitarian groups that give aid to immigrants.

In a broader sense, anti-immigrant legislation such as this is grossly hypocritical and ineffective. Sonny Purdue, the Republican governor of Georgia, noted that “there’s been a certain degree of hypocrisy within the overall community in the U.S. regarding . using the labor of people who come in with illegal or undocumented status.”

Pro-business Republicans demonize “the illegals” while encouraging illegal immigration at the same time.

Businesses love undocumented immigrants who work for low wages and no benefits. Just ask Wal-Mart who recently was caught underpaying undocumented workers and making them sleep in the back of their stores all so you can have your low prices.

The next time you start complaining about “the illegals,” be sure to look at the whole picture. Undocumented workers often take jobs that many U.S. citizens refuse to consider and play an overlooked but vital role in the U.S. economy. The construction, agriculture and service industries all rely on immigrant labor to survive.

Remember that these illegal immigrants are victims, not enemies. It is our businesses and our government who practically invite them to come and work while at the same time give lip service to the anti-immigrant right.

If the government really wants to solve the immigration problem, either address the social and economic issues that force illegal immigrants to come to this country with some kind of guest worker program (as proposed by both President Bush and Sen. John McCain) or go the opposite route and implement something that actually would stop illegal immigration, such as worker identification cards.

This fence legislation is nothing but an empty gesture meant to appease the anti-immigrant right. It goes against basic human rights and is needlessly costly and ineffective. A fence will do nothing to stop illegal immigrants, let alone terrorists (well, maybe the out of shape ones).

Eric Naing is a senior in LAS. His column appears Tuesdays. He can be reached at [email protected].