The truth about Tucker Max

By Tom Amenta

Those who know me would question my ability to be the morality police. One of the most frequent phrases heard from me is, “I’m going to hell.” But after last week, I figured I might as well take a stab at my biggest pet peeve on Earth: liars. I hate liars. There is nothing that will make me want to rain down fire and brimstone quicker then catching someone in an outright, bald-faced lie.

Rather than complain for 650 words about all of this, I want to encourage you to meet someone instead. He’s a buddy of mine who will be at Kam’s signing copies of his new book from 6:30-8 p.m. tomorrow. Stop by and enjoy the show. ÿ

His name is Tucker Max and he is, according to his Web site’s ( www.tuckermax.com) opening sentence, an “a**hole,” among other things. His body of work amounts to getting drunk, sleeping around, and belligerently talking trash. His incredible talent for writing is surpassed only by his complete disregard for social norms. If you read his book “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell,” or the stories on his Web site, you will realize that Tucker has no morals whatsoever. Bill Clinton’s interlude with Monica or the Paris Hilton sex tape is tame compared to the debauchery Tucker gets himself into every weekend.

While the frat boy population is now standing up and calling Tucker their hero, this is not why you should take the time to go meet him. I am not encouraging you to meet him because of his antics. As entertaining or shocking as they are to read, Tucker’s adventures are not what make him brilliant or someone I respect greatly.

Tucker is always honest, no matter what. Before you fly off the handle and say it’s easier for him, remember that Tucker immerses himself in the world that college students find themselves in. The need for acceptance and the opposite sex dominate our lives even more then our studies. As you read through his stories of random hook ups and bar room incidents he is always himself. He doesn’t change. No matter how hot the girl is or who the people surrounding him are he is still just Tucker. Can you say that about yourself? If you took 100 people who knew you and asked them what you are like, how many of them would more or less answer the same?

Somewhere along the way Tucker figured out he couldn’t please everybody and quit trying. From the moment you come in contact with Tucker you will know where you stand with him. If he likes you he’ll say so, if he thinks you’re an idiot he’ll tell you that too. He gives no thought to the opinions of others because he is comfortable with himself. It’s a breath of fresh air in today’s absurdly politically correct world.

I wish everyone in the world were as honest as Tucker. If offended or told that I am wrong is the price I have to pay for the eradication of my personal pet peeve of lying, I’m more then willing to pay that price. If you aren’t I wonder, what don’t you like about yourself? Up the same alley, why do people’s opinions matter so much to you? You’re going to be buried by yourself anyway, you might as well tell someone they’re acting like an idiot.

In a lot of ways I’m like Tucker. Since I was 10, the people who have been my best friends have always been the ones who told me I’m a jerk within the first 20 minutes of meeting – because I am a jerk. They ignored the social pressures to lie to me. They didn’t conform to everyone around us – they did what was right. Those are the people you should surround yourself with. Just keep your girlfriend away from Tucker.

Tom Amenta is a sophomore in LAS. You will likely find him wasted at Kam’s tomorrow night. His column appears on Mondays. He can be reached at [email protected]