Meet your administration

Linda Katehi Rick Wiltfong

By Joseph White

B. Joseph White

President

B. Joseph White came to the University in January 2005 as its 16th president.

Before taking on the position, he served as the University of Michigan’s interim president, dean of the business college and as a faculty member. He also received his doctorate from Michigan.

White earned his bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and an MBA from Harvard University. He has also received an honorary degree from Wabash College.

White has also served as vice president for management development and vice president for personnel and public affairs at Cummins Engine Co. As president of the University, White oversees all three UI campuses: Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield.

Richard Herman

Chancellor

Richard Herman was named chancellor in May 2005 after serving nearly a year as interim chancellor.

Herman has also served as this University’s provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs.

Before coming to the University, Herman was dean of the College of Computer, Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the University of Maryland and chair of the Department of Mathematics at Penn State.

Herman received his bachelor’s degree from Stevens Institute of Technology and his doctorate from the University of Maryland.

The chancellor is in charge of the Urbana-Champaign campus.

Linda Katehi

Provost

Linda Katehi came to the University in April 2006 after serving as the dean of the College of Engineering at Purdue University.

While at Purdue, she also served as a professor of electrical and computer engineering.

Before her stint at Purdue, Katehi was a professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Michigan.

Katehi received her bachelor’s degree in mechanical and electrical engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (Greece) and her master’s and doctoral degrees from UCLA.

The provost is the chief academic and budget officer for the University.

Renee Romano

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Renee Romano came to the University in July 2006 from the University of Northern Iowa where she has served as vice president for educational and student services.

Prior to serving in that position, Romano was the vice president for student services at Hollins University. She has also served as director of the student union and student activities at Northern Iowa.

Romano received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Southern Illinois University and her doctorate from Iowa State University.

The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is responsible for the student experience at Illinois, from housing and dining to student organizations and health care.