LETTER: Recycling program a must for Champaign

With the threat of global warming and the exploitation of earth’s natural resources, making positive environmental change can be a daunting task. One of the easiest ways that citizens can participate is by recycling the goods they use on a regular basis, including paper, cans and plastics. However, many citizens in the City of Champaign are not even offered the option of recycling.

In the early 1990s, the City of Champaign had the most innovative recycling program in the state of Illinois. That recycling program was recently revised to include only residential buildings of four units or less. This excludes most of the student apartment buildings in Champaign, and does not offer these students the right to recycle.

After many attempts to expand Champaign’s inadequate recycling program, students are giving it another try. There are currently petitions circulating to expand the current recycling ordinance, regardless of a residential building’s size. This petition will put a referendum on April’s ballot, and allow Champaign residents the right to vote on the recycling issue. If the referendum is passed, residents will finally be given the right to recycle, regardless of the building they live in.

It’s time for Champaign to wake up and make a change, because recycling is the easiest way to make a difference.

Allison Luzader

Junior in ACES