Snow helps Bears get spot in Super Bowl

By Frank Vanderwall

For most of the season, fans, media and Denny Green sought the answer to the question of whether or not the Bears were for real. On Sunday, we found out that the Bears are indeed who their fans thought they were — not who coach Green thought they were. The Bears trounced the Saints 39-14 at a snowy Soldier Field and earned the NFC title.

All week we listened to bandwagon-jumping professionals in the media talk about how the Saints were a team of destiny and that this was their year. Unfortunately for them, games aren’t won by destiny; they are won with sound execution, good coaching and, oh yeah, a little help from Mother Nature.

Don’t get me wrong, the Bears looked like a great team on Sunday, but did anyone notice how Bears fans became uneasy as the Saints drew near early in the second half. I know I did. We were one errant Grossman pass from another disappointing playoff loss. Then something happened. Something incredible. The weather became a factor and it began to snow at Soldier Field.

Take another look at Sunday’s game if you missed it; the momentum appeared to have totally shifted in the Saints’ favor at the beginning of the second half. But soon after the snow began to fall, the tides turned, and the Bears defense looked ferocious again. A charged-up defensive line forced Drew Brees to throw one away in the end zone, resulting in an intentional grounding penalty and safety.

With the snow falling more heavily, the Bears ran the football more often, leading to success. Too bad it didn’t start snowing last week with 1:58 left against the Seahawks. The Bears began their drive around midfield when Ron Turner decided to throw three straight passes instead of running the football. Three passes and three incompletions later, the Seahawks got the ball back with a chance to win in regulation.

But enough about my bitterness towards the Bears never running the ball. After the free kick following the Saints’ safety, the Bears stormed downfield twice, scoring two touchdowns en route to a 39-14 win; all of this following the key moment when Mother Nature decided to step in.

I’m not saying the snow actually won the game for Chicago, but it certainly didn’t hurt. I wonder how difficult it would be to get some snow makers down to Miami and then pay off the NFL to let us use them against the Colts. It can’t be that hard. I’m sure someone must have paid off the appropriate officials to allow the Bears to retain possession of the Saints’ “fumble” on their first-quarter kick return.

Of course, none of that will be necessary in a couple of weeks if Mark Anderson can go at Peyton Manning like he did at Drew Brees. Anderson has been phenomenal all season long and has continued his outstanding play in the postseason.

Bottom line: After this week’s win, we know one thing for sure. This is truly a Bears team the Super Fans from the old Saturday Night Live skit would be proud of. Especially since Rex Grossman would probably be a part of them. Do you ever get that uneasy feeling before a game when they show Rex on the sideline and he’s got that frat boy look on his face? You know that feeling where you’re not really sure if he’s watched any game film in the last week, or if he has any idea what the game plan is? Or maybe he’s thinking about some sort of Super Bowl party he’s suppose to go to but can’t if the Bears win …

Maybe it’s just me, but as long as the Bears keep winning and he has to miss his Super Bowl party to win it, I’ll be fine.

Da Bears versus Da Indy Colts in Miami. Should be a doozie.

Frank Vanderwall is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected]