Amid Bears hype, it’s never too early to talk baseball

By Frank Vanderwall

Well, apparently it’s almost that time of year again, the time of year when you spend endless hours rummaging through projected baseball statistics in preparation for a season that’s still several months away. I know this seems like an inappropriate article with the Bears Super Bowl game coming up this Sunday, but I figure everyone will hear enough about the game since every media employee in the country is in Miami “working” all week. It seemed even more appropriate since my fantasy baseball commissioner sent me an instant message about our league’s 2007 prospect draft yesterday.

I want to start this off by emphasizing the importance of getting emotionally invested in the upcoming baseball season early. First, you need to have something to look forward to when football ends so you don’t feel completely lost, or heaven forbid, start watching the NHL. Second, if you don’t spend the next two months planning your fantasy draft, you can’t complain when the player you’ve had your eye on gets drafted right before you. Finally, if you’re a Cubs fan like me, it’s important to spend two months getting really excited about the upcoming season before you realize in mid-May that yes, it is really happening again.

OK, so after hours of trolling through top player lists, projections, and simulating games on MVP baseball, I have come up with a list of underrated players to keep your eyes on as the season approaches. My top sleepers will have the opportunity to turn some mediocre teams into playoff contenders this year if they are able to make an impact.

OF, Willy Taveras, COL – Taveras is young and finally in an environment that supports his skill set. The speedy outfielder should thrive in Colorado. With a good lineup behind him, huge gaps in the outfield and his incredible speed, Taveras is going to have a tremendous year. One hundred and twenty runs, 40 steals and a .300 average are not out of the question.

OF, Carlos Quentin, ARI – Quentin will undoubtedly start on opening day for Arizona with Luis Gonzalez and Shawn Green leaving the team – about time they did. Quentin had 9 HR’s and 32 RBI’s last season in just 166 at bats. If he develops as planned, he’s got a shot at Rookie of the Year, so keep your eye on him.

1B, Prince Fielder, MIL – Fielder was all right last season, finishing with middle-of-the-road numbers for a first baseman. The 22-year-old is expected to be great, but it’s always difficult to predict a player’s breakout season. Fielder will have better years than 2007 in his career, but I expect big things from him. Look for Fielder to make a huge jump in average this year as he starts to figure out big league pitching, that is if he can avoid adding to his already large 260-pound figure in Milwaukee now that he can legally consume alcoholic beverages.

SP, Matt Cain, SF – The 22-year-old has a chance to be really good but isn’t on many people’s radar for a breakout this season. He struggled a bit last year avoiding the big inning; however, he averages nearly a strikeout per inning pitched and had the third-lowest batting average against in the NL last year. I think Cain is going to have a very productive season and step up for San Francisco with Jason Schmidt now in LA.

SP, Rich Hill CHC – Rich Hill is un-hittable at the AAA level but has always struggled in the big leagues. There has really been no explanation for his struggles other than adapting to the different level of play. A pitcher who is this talented will eventually figure it out (pending the fact that he plays for a team cursed by a goat.) Hill may be the single most important player in terms of team success for the Cubs, and I believe he’ll rise to the challenge; Hill wins 17 this season.

SP, Matt Garza, MIN – His name is nowhere near as cool as Boof Bonser’s, but I think Garza is going to be a better pitcher. A first rounder out of Fresno State in 2005, Garza has electric stuff. He burned through the minors to earn a late season call up with the Twins. Unfortunately, he couldn’t figure it out at the major league level last season. I expect him to be back for sure sometime this year. If Minnesota can stay healthy and Garza can figure out how to pitch in the majors, the Twins are going to be a force this season.

P.S. Bears win this weekend 34-28, and Thomas Jones wins the MVP. Sorry Peyton, maybe next year.

Frank Vanderwall is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].