No obligation to them at all

By Jacob Vial

Many reasons exist for why individuals become homeless. Nearly every reason already has government-funded programs in place to combat these societal problems. Government funded programs in substance abuse, psychiatric services and of course, welfare are available to citizens. Increases in funding for programs benefiting the homeless will ultimately end up like every funding increase provided by the government. Money will be ill-spent on unnecessary bureaucracy that would be better handled by the private sector.

In 2005, it was estimated by the Giving U.S.A. Foundation that Americans gave over 260 billion dollars in charitable contributions. This number was up by over six percent from 2004. It is thought that increases from wealthy contributors like Warren Buffet and the passage of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 will lead to increases in 2006 figures when they are released.

Syracuse Public Policy Professor Arthur C. Brooks, explores trends in American giving in his book, “Who Really Cares?” Not surprisingly, those who favor a redistribution of income give 10 times less money to charity. Why do it yourself when others can do it for you? Brooks also finds that liberals who often tout increases to welfare or homeless programs give thirty percent less than conservative households adjusted for income. Liberals younger than 30 are among the least likely to give. Brooks is a religious independent who had no political agenda when he began writing his book.

Those who want to give do so outside of the government. People want to see that their donations make a difference. Rises in independent charity evaluators are indicative of this trend. Charity graders like Charity Navigator help donors find charities that fit their causes and their desired level of waste. Charities with overpaid fund-raisers and staff are red flagged. Charities that see a high return on investments are praised. Individuals also enjoy helping those around them. I see individuals in my home community suffering daily. However, I know if my taxes are increased to help redistribute income, that money will be earmarked for developing housing in urban areas.

Government’s responsibility to the homeless of society stops at the same responsibility they have to me. Government should provide for our unalienable rights as human beings. A homeless victim of a crime should be entitled to the same opportunity for justice as I am. A homeless member of society should not be punished for their lack of shelter. Homeless citizens should also be entitled to emergency medical treatment under the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA.) However, government should not be entitled to “x” percent of my income to help the homeless. I would rather give that percentage to a charitable organization that practices fiscal responsibility. Too often, people throw their problems towards the government and expect remedies. As President Ronald Reagan accurately affirmed, “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.” I will take my charitable giving with a little sense of responsibility.