“I WUV U” and other death threats in honor of St. Valentine

By Sujay Kumar

Not all roses are red/ Some violets aren’t even blue/ Let’s be honest Cupid/ Your holiday blows.”

If you didn’t notice, on February 14th everything wasn’t as lovey-dovey as it seemed. On the surface there were pretty pink flowers, boxes of chocolate and teddy bears holding “be mine” hearts, but underneath was a new, dark holiday spreading: Anti-Valentine’s Day.

This year, American Greetings Corp. added 10 anti-Valentine’s Day cards to a collection that already numbers 2,500 celebrating Valentine’s Day. The cards take and then bash well-known Valentine’s Day phrases. While anti-Valentine’s cards are only a small portion of the estimated one billion cards exchanged on the holiday, the backlash against Valentine’s Day may be spreading faster than you think.

On February 7th, archaeologists uncovered two 5,000-year-old skeletons locked in an “eternal embrace.” The cuddling remains were found near Verona, Italy, the backdrop of one of the greatest love stories of all time. No, I’m not referring to Oprah and her studly Stedman, but the slightly less popular story of Romeo and Juliet. Sadly, in true anti-Valentine’s Day fashion, the news of these prehistoric star-crossed lovers was labeled as Valentine’s Day propaganda and ignored.

Ten years ago, teen prophets Hanson sang, “Where’ the love? It’s not enough. Makes the world go round and round, yeah.” Sometimes I wonder, has their question been answered?

Anti-Valentine’s followers believe that the February 14th is purely a sham. Set in the dead cold of winter, the holiday is buried somewhere between icy walkways and mounds of snow. Those who have someone to share the day with are pressured into making restaurant reservations, buying expensive flowers and keeping up with everyone else. If you aren’t romantically linked to someone, what better way is there to remind yourself of how very lonely you are then Valentine’s Day?

These non-believers think the holiday is nothing more than broken hearts, single girls pigging out on double fudge ice cream sprinkled with Doritos, and romantic tear-jerkers like “The Notebook.” “The Notebook.” Yeah, this is serious.

Has February 14th always been such a dreaded day? At first you may think so, but think far back to a time when that Hanson song was actually popular.

Remember those carefree days in grade school when Valentine’s Day was exciting? Free candy for everyone! Sharing conversation hearts, Hershey’s Kisses and icing-covered cookies with a friend never felt so good. This rush of sugary sweetness could only be matched by the loads of Valentine’s you got. The cards usually had lovable cartoon characters such as Minnie Mouse with messages like, “Will you be my mine, my cute little Valentine?”

Your only worries were sugar-induced comas and whether that cutey at the front of the class really did think that “seeing your smile was worthwhile” as the card said. It didn’t matter, at least your name was spelled correctly!

If everything was so great, then when did this innocent day of cookies and flirting vanish into a lonely night of Klondike Bars and “Unbreak My Heart” in perpetual loop on your iTunes?

What if that day we used to love is still there, hidden behind all the roses, violets, and Stedman? Maybe we just have to find it. What if Cupid doesn’t hate you, and what if February 14th isn’t always the “worst day ever”? Maybe you’re not alone.

As for the prehistoric love-birds, was it really a story for ages? It doesn’t really matter. It happened around Valentine’s Day, so of course it’s a love story.

Remember Valentine’s Day two days ago? Was it really that horrible?

February 14th will always have those who hate it, but something tells me that Valentine’s Day is here to stay. A holiday that makes you to tell someone, tell anyone, that you care about them can’t be that bad after all.