Dinosaurs returning to NBA?

By Mike Rodriguez

The dinosaurs are making a comeback. No, not the real dinosaurs that roamed the earth and starred in such films as “Jurassic Park” and “The Land Before Time.” The dinosaurs I’m referring to are Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller. It has been reported that both players are interested in making a return to the NBA for the end of the regular season and the playoffs.

The return of former players usually happens around this time, as teams that are playoff contenders attempt to bolster their rosters with experienced players that still have some gas left in the tank. But never before have we seen players of such tremendous age attempt to make a comeback.

Pippen, 41, reportedly admitted he has not played five-on-five basketball in months. He has, though, spent a lot of time on the golf course, which may or may not cause his jump shot to improve. A 9-iron from about 140 yards is about the same as a 20-footer right?

The L.A. Lakers are the most interested team in Pippen’s services, and coach Phil Jackson has supposedly contacted Pippen about a potential comeback.

I don’t consider myself a Laker expert; I’m more interested in things that concern the Chicago Bulls. However, as Pippen is an ex-Bull, his attempted comeback has me wondering if it will be compared to Michael Jordan’s second attempt at a comeback with the Washington Wizards in 2001.

Jordan was not as successful as a 37-year-old in the NBA, and he averaged the fewest points-per-game of his entire career in 2002-03 with the Wizards.

Pippen is four years older than Jordan was during his comeback and never had the skills that Jordan did. He can do nothing but hurt his reputation if he does return for the Lakers, who don’t even have a legitimate shot at doing anything other than losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Another member of the 1994 Dream Team is rumored to be considering a potential comeback. Reggie Miller, the star of the Indiana Pacers for his entire career, has been contacted by Mark Cuban to potentially fill a vacant roster spot for the Dallas Mavericks. Cuban announced Monday before the Mavs faced the Atlanta Hawks that he is interested in the No. 1 three-point shooter in NBA history.

Miller currently serves as a commentator for TNT and has supposedly been keeping himself in tremendous physical shape. The Mavs are the NBA’s best team and a serious contender to win the NBA Finals this year.

Reggie’s comeback is a lot more logical than Pippen’s potential attempt. Pippen was known for his stifling defense and basket-attacking skills. Miller is known for his amazing ability to knock down clutch shots late in games.

He never won an NBA Championship and could be very useful for the Mavs this year – at least on the offensive end of the court.

Pippen should be working on his short game, not his jump shot, at this stage of his life. Miller is in a much better situation to make an impact for a playoff team, and the Mavs are in a much better situation to benefit from the addition of a veteran player.

Thoughts and second thoughts

n If Bruce Weber was smart, he’d leave today for the Iowa game on Sunday. We certainly don’t need the players around Champaign for Unofficial this weekend.

n Barry Bonds revealed in an interview with KGO Radio in San Francisco that he receives death threats and that is why he is “standoffish” to the media. Nice try, Barry, but we all know why you’re nasty to the media. You cheated, and everybody knows it. The media knows, fans know and your so-called “friend” Greg Anderson knows, and that’s why he is currently sitting in jail. Attempting to distract the media with notice of death threats just makes you look even guiltier, you cheater.

n Those of you who still follow the NHL will enjoy this one: Buffalo Sabres fans have reportedly picked up the tab for the $10,000 fine that head coach Lindy Ruff incurred for his role in the wild brawl that erupted during a game against the Ottawa Senators.

Lindy thanked the fans and told them the money they gave would be donated to charity. As a Buffalo native, I am proud that I was born in a city that not only still supports the NHL, but also supports coaches letting players beat down on opponents who take cheap shots during games.

Mike Rodriguez is a senior in LAS.

He can be reached at

[email protected].