What breakdancers, tools, and subcultures can teach you

By Lee Feder

With the temperature at 5 degrees, there I stood a minority among minorities. I was an outsider that night, watching breakdancing subculture at work. The competition that took place in the Illini Union during the coldest part of February featured students from the University and other campuses competing with and against talented breakdancers from elsewhere in the region. The competitors’ spins, holds and other moves stunned me. For those who say dance is not an athletic activity, I say try breakdancing.

I went there to watch my friend Laura from the University of Wisconsin, but walked away impressed not only by her performance but also the nature of the event. Besides featuring awe-inspiring dancers employing moves that would land me in a hospital bed, the competition had that most youthful of atmospheres. The social groups that traditionally are associated with a university (sports teams, Greek organizations, political groups, etc.) were absent, yet the room exuded a decidedly collegiate aura.

In high school, subcultures are more pronounced. People discriminate between jocks, dweebs, band geeks, drama queens, cool kids, druggies, skater punks, overachievers and those who just could not care less. Despite the juvenile nature of the high school social system, it really is a microcosm of life. Look around campus: we have people who belonged to the previously mentioned categories, but in college, we thankfully do not judge them only by their personal activities.

In many respects, leaving people to pursue their private interests alone is excellent. With so many RSOs and non-RSO activities on campus and in the C-U area, individuals can follow their passions and broaden their circles of friends.

Alternatively, taking a trip into different subcultures is very instructive. In general, people are afraid of the very idea of it. Different groups wear “weird” clothing and use strange jargon like “ollie,” “fakie,” “hold” and “six-step,” none of which has any meaning to outsiders. Those appearances and words represent the unknown and therefore instill twinges of fear. But that night at the Union I saw America at work: there were people of every race, religion and economic bracket passing time together engaged in a shared interest. They dressed alike but everyone was clearly an individual, and no one cared that I was just some tool (who was CLEARLY out of place) visiting a friend from out of town.

Because of my foray into the Union, I saw something I never would have had Laura not come to town. I saw a guy do six different holds (including a one-armed handstand!) in the span of 45 seconds. I saw another spin on his head for about 10 seconds straight. I even witnessed trash talk in motion. If ever language seemed irrelevant, it was when one breakdancing team managed to rip apart another without saying a word.

I remain amazed at the variety of life experiences that exist, despite my having tried things ranging from skydiving to music. Nobody can attempt, do or excel at everything, but he is the fool who does not attempt to broaden horizons. This is a new philosophy for me, as I had closed my mind to “new” anything for many years. Recently, though, I have tasted several apples, and afterwards I always thank the serpent.

I have spent time around skaters, breakdancers and others with “alternative” interests. While I have at times felt out of place, no one ever made me feel that way. The most marvelous thing about subculture is its tolerance of others. No one ever cared that I was a lousy skateboarder or that I could not breakdance; I was there because I found the activity interesting and the skilled recognized that.

I cannot say if another breakdancing competition will visit campus anytime soon, but if it does I would highly recommend everyone go. Besides being entertaining, exposure to unique talent is good for the soul as it decomposes the fear.