Time to reflect on the eventful year

By Lee Feder

As the semester winds down I think it’s best to reflect on the past several months and tie up some loose ends that have been kicking around my brain. While the dominant topics on campus, in this newspaper, and on this page have changed and sometimes coincided, we as a university populace have shared the same path over the past 16 weeks. From a frigid and solitary beginning in January to the collective outdoor festivities we enjoy today, the time spent this semester has been enjoyable while the past months’ events have united the campus.

My semester began on this page. My first column met with cries of “Liberal!” while conservatives throughout campus grabbed their wallets in fear that I might try to collectivize their assets. Sadly, my communist wealth-sharing plan was nothing more than fiction and I remain a steadfast (if broke) capitalist.

Shortly thereafter, my comrades in China decided to test a new missile by shooting down a satellite. I advocated rationalism and tempered the knee-jerk reaction of fear. China can be our best ally or most dangerous adversary, and it’s ultimately up to the U.S. to determine that relationship. From a pessimistic point of view, American relations with China should correspond to the old clich‚: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

In February, the campus rejoiced in the snow while a random girl stole my friend’s sandwich at 2 a.m. on Green Street – and was subsequently tackled in the snow. However, the goodhearted prevailed during that time as the Chancellor cancelling classes and helping dig out a girl’s car highlighted.

Even more impressive were the numerous anecdotes of people helping each other rescue cars, clear walkways and offer rides. I hope that everyone enjoyed those two days since another 25 years are likely to pass before the University ever closes due to weather again.

Then the Board killed the Chief and more people cared about that than the war in Iraq.

As the semester wore on, the debate regarding Unofficial escalated, culminating in a relatively uneventful day of green beer. Unsurprisingly, nobody knew that it was the University’s birthday that day, except those of us who got free cake in the Everett Lab lobby.

As Spring Break inched closer, dieters filled IMPE and CRCE thinking they could lose seven months of drinking weight in two weeks. Thankfully, the vacation came and the truly dedicated could be active, play basketball and work out in comfort.

After break, classes intensified and people realized that semester term papers were due in a couple of weeks. Coincidentally, lines outside the bars were never longer than immediately following break.

Two weeks ago, the campus mourned the Virginia Tech shootings and we cried Maroon and Orange. May the victims rest in peace and may we never need to grieve like that again.

Finally, we, the Chambana faithful, have been rejoicing in the delightful weather of the past weeks. With class project and paper deadlines now upon us, all motivation to actually do homework has disappeared. We flee the dorms and apartments for the Quad, the streets, the bars or the sand volleyball courts. Suddenly, that one class that we just cannot master does not matter, especially with summer on the horizon.

As the sporadic April rains make planning anything outside a gambling venture, we need to reflect on how the shared experiences of campus accentuate our similarities. Conservatives and liberals, Greeks and GDI (goddamn independents), drinkers and non-drinkers, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and atheists have all shared in the major events of the semester.

We are all part of the University of Illinois team (the network for the Facebook addicts among us) in addition to being part of our own subgroups of ethnicity, activity, and social class. Let us take the summer to downplay our differences and learn to tolerate and succeed because of our differences and not in spite of them. Many thanks to my friends, teammates, professors and the campus in general for an enjoyable semester. We will do it again next year, only with less homework.