Checklists, planning improve move-in process

By Pamela Nisivaco

Bright green and pink comforters cover the beds, which are adorned with matching decorative pillows. One wall is covered with pictures of family and friends while the opposite wall has magazine cutouts and advertisements. Wood shelves toward the back of the room between two desks hold bags of chips, bread and half-used jars of peanut butter. Emily Myers and Kristen Walterman’s dormitory is obviously a girl’s room, but Myers describes it as “not too exciting.”

Packing for college can be an overwhelming experience. Kirsten Ruby, assistant director of Housing for Marketing, said her best advice is not to try to bring everything you own.

Myers, sophomore in LAS, said the checklist at the University Housing Web site was helpful, but it also helps to see the space before you actually get some items.

“We needed a longer cable cord because the 20-foot one they give you wasn’t long enough for where we had set up our TV,” Myers said.

Myers said she highly recommends students living in the residence halls bring a power outlet because there are very few plug-in areas in the rooms. Ruby said she suggests students bring a lamp with a non-halogen light bulb for the desk and she said an alarm clock is a must.

“Students often have a very different schedule in college from high school,” Ruby said. “You definitely have to have a way to get up in the morning.”

Although all the University residence halls have computer labs, 98 percent of residents have computers in their room, she said.

Myers said she could never live without her laptop because she is on it all the time for homework, checking e-mail and checking any online postings for classes.

Items not on the University’s list can be found in residence hall rooms around campus, but are ways residents make their rooms more comfortable. Looking around Myers and Walterman’s room, a shower rod with a shower curtain dangling from it, separating the room from the closets, may seem odd. Myers explained the curtain is for changing behind when people are in the room. If someone needs to change there is a space and they don’t need to go into the bathroom, she said.

Ruby said bringing photos of family and friends from back home can help make students feel more at home in University housing. She said residents in the residence halls should bring something from home that most encourages a feeling of your space.

Most students moving in have heard at least one horror story about having a bad roommate. Roommate assignments are mailed in July and Ruby said it is best to get in touch with your roommate, either by phone, e-mail or Facebook, before coming to campus.

There are a few major things in each room, such as the microwave, TV and refrigerator, that roommates need to decide on. Ruby said setting up that initial communication is key.

Myers and Walterman said they both lucked out in getting a good roommate. They said they don’t share much, which is good because then they didn’t have to split the costs of anything.

When it comes to food, the University dining halls provide residents with choices. The University offers six different meal plan options and Dining Services has eight different air-conditioned dining halls across campus. Residents can eat at all of them. Dining hall food at college doesn’t have the best reputation, but Myers said at least residents don’t have to cook for themselves.

Living in such a small space, residents can become cramped or tired of the room. Ruby said she has heard of residents who re-arrange the furniture every few months to keep their living quarters fresh.

Myers said the best way to deal with a cramped space is to get out of the room because a change of environment is always good.

Items to Bring:

• Lamps for desk.
  • Telephone,answering machine.
  • Pillow, bed linens, blankets (36″x 80″ for extra-long twin beds).
  • Alarm clock.
  • Room decorations, pictures of family and friends.
  • Key ring.
  • Clothes hangers.
  • Bathrobe, shower shoes.
  • Small bucket for carrying toiletries.
  • Towels, washcloth, soap, shampoo.
  • Laundry basket/bag, detergent, rolls of quarters.
  • Coffee mug, drinking cups, dishes and cutlery for snacks.
  • Assorted plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, or other items.
  • Umbrella, rainwear.
  • Headphones so your music does not disturb others.
  • A power strip with a 15 amp circuit breaker; it must be UL-approved with a heavy cord and three-prong grounding – use a power bar (extension cords are not permitted).
  • Poster putty for hanging up decorations – no masking tape or scotch tape on wood or painted surfaces.
  • Winter clothing (unless you can get it later or have it sent).
  • Flashlight.

Other Items you may consider bringing:

• Computer with Ethernet adapter and a 15-foot Ethernet cable to connect to campus network and Internet.
  • Laptop lock, if you’re planning to bring your laptop.
  • Small microwave, 800 watts or less (one per room).
  • Small refrigerator-one per room, up to three cubic feet.
  • Throw rug or carpet samples.
  • Magnets for magnetic pegboard (FAR, ISR:Wardall only).
  • Crates or stacking containers.
  • Seat cushion for desk chair
  • Radio, TV, VCR/DVD player, stereo – your room has an outlet for free cable TV.
  • School supplies, such as stapler, paper clips, pens, etc.
  • Postage stamps.
  • First aid kit/band aids.
  • Personal emergency/disaster kit.
  • A cart or dolly to expedite your move-in process.
  • Fan (box or window fans are recommended in non-air conditioned residence halls).
  • Reading pillow for your bed.
  • Paper towels and basic cleaning supplies.
  • Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins.
  • Personal sports/recreation equipment.
  • Bicycle with a GOOD lock.

Source: http://www.housing.uiuc.edu