Find yourself; It’s college!

By Liam Reinhart

In one semester, I will graduate. But as I make plans for my future and my career, the life I want beyond school, I cannot help but reflect on the past four years. There have been ups and downs, the formations of friendships and fallouts with old cronies.

But more than anything else, it is these years that have come to define my character.

Before college, I was much different. How much different? I am not even sure words could describe the change. I did not eat the same foods.

The only music I listened to in high school, rap, I abhor now. Back then I had set views on the world. But, because I specialized in political science and philosophy, those views have completely shifted. I was even known then by a different version of my name.

Even with those changes, I am more happy and comfortable than ever before. I can thank college for that. I can also thank it for giving me something invaluable – access to a wide variety of experiences.

From writing for this paper and running a Registered Student Organization to watching performances at Krannert and traveling to another country, it is the presence of the University that has allowed all of it to happen.

It also must be said that I was able to do so much because I allowed it to happen. Ultimately, that is what college is about, allowing the change to occur.

For me, the change came when I was a freshman and took my first class in philosophy.

I learned about all of the greats, from Plato to Hobbes. It was at this time in my life that I learned about their visions and hopes for humanity. For some reason, the light bulb that I had been waiting for turned on. When I look back, what happened is almost clich‚d.

But if they had such hopes for humanity, why could I not change everything that I wanted about myself? If they saw potential in mankind, why could I not find that same hidden source in myself? I did find it. I found out what I enjoyed to do.

Ever since then, I have tried to use every resource to enrich my experience. But I have a feeling others have not done the same.

While I was eating with friends last week, we got into a conversation about all the things that we all needed to do together before the end of college.

Go to Allerton. Watch more performances at Krannert. Go to the Red Herring. Get out of Campustown more often. Go play putt-putt. Go to the waterpark. See more movies at Boardman’s Art Theatre.

In the middle of the conversation, I realized many of my friends had not done many of the things I enjoy so much. Except for ringing the chimes at Altgeld, there was not a single activity in the list that I had not done in my time here.

And that is what I implore of everyone. Try those things that you normally would not. Get out of your comfort zone. Dare to take a chance with a friend or with an experience. Try to get to know a student from another country. Learn about other peoples, other customs and other religions. Because, despite not understanding much else about the world, philosophers did teach me one thing – life is only as good as we are willing to make it.