Dollars over scholars: Memorial Stadium

By Paul Schmitt

What do Chief Illiniwek, Jim Sheppard and Block I all have in common? For those who work in the University’s Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, it’s all about policy. With the addition of superstar recruiter Ron Zook to the DIA roster, sources that work for the Athletic Department explain that the new credo is, “New Team, New Stadium, New Traditions.”

The fall of 2007 is likely to be a historic one for the University. Jim Sheppard, the popular voice of the Illini (and to some, of God) will be serving his last football season behind the microphone. For more than 20 years Sheppard brought a dignified, professional approach to his job that fans of all ages enjoyed and respected. Surely, when Sheppard will be replaced by some overcaffeinated disc jockey, his cool style and deep, tranquil speaking voice will be truly longed for.

For those students hoping to travel to their traditional seats at midfield, they will unfortunately find themselves relocated to the North End Zone due to newly found premium seating demands created by luxury box construction. The Athletic Department maintains that there is no profit motive with the move, however the seats that formerly sold to Block I for $13 a game will now sell at a minimum of $42. Students, said officials at the DIA, will now have special concession amenities that will not be available to the rest of the stadium – at least our hotdog is better than theirs.

While these changes are all part of the effort to create a new winning environment, it seems these actions reinforce an unspoken theme at the University – dollars over scholars. The DIA continues to state the need for higher yield luxury box sales, arguing that the program needs revenue to compete with powerhouse Big Ten schools. What is being sacrificed for the UI to become an athletic haven are the very traditions that have carried the University to the grand status that it maintains.

For the first time in 81 years, fans will not enjoy a beautiful assortment of feathers, buckskins and bead work bursting from the band at halftime. While students are squinting southward as the Illini threaten to score this season, Chancellor Herman, University President White, and Athletic Director Guenther will all be enjoying the atmosphere in their $300,000 luxury boxes. It’s good to see that the Illini’s truest fans are being taken care of.

Perhaps the question we should ask now is, “What’s next?” Though Memorial Stadium’s grandeur was constructed originally in memory of the fallen heroes of the state of Illinois, renderings found on the Renaissance Web site seem to add further homage not to the veterans fallen in later wars, but to the iconic Red Grange – apparently Illinois’ only legacy worth enshrining by the DIA.

With all these changes to the honored traditions of Illinois designed to jump-start a recovering, fledgling program, the pressure now lies with a football team whose victories are still in anticipation.

How do students, you know, those whom Chancellor Richard Herman has called our University’s “greatest asset,” feel about their new status in compromised end zone seating? Students are, after all, future alumni and will someday be courted by the University for their potential generosity. Additionally, how are alumni and parents supposed to feel as they are now being courted?

Students have attempted to voice their disapproval with the move. Through both ineffective means, like forming Facebook groups, and more formal measures, like polling the members of Block I, students have winced from the pain of the DIA’s proverbial shaft. Even the University’s student government nearly unanimously passed a resolution asking for the DIA to not move the students – the only “nay” vote came from the student member of the DIA’s athletic board.

All in all, the business of football is the business of fond memories. Though the administration and NCAA have effectively alienated 81 years of memories, there are still many positive emotions associated with being an Illini.

With many of those memories now possibly endangered, however, University administrators should reflect that it’s never too late to correct your mistakes.

Should all the proposed changes occur, the UI could be bailed out by one thing: winning..