Illinois expectations don’t pass the test

By Daily Ilini Editorial Board

Last week the Thomas B. Fordham Institute released a detailed report that analyzed how school children’s performances across the country compare to each other on standardized tests. It found that Illinois students were doing well on state standardized tests in accordance with 2001’s No Child Left Behind Act, but overall they were losing ground to other states on national exam test scores.

Alarmists may point to the fact that the study showed that no other state’s eighth-grade math exam was easier to pass than Illinois’ or that it barely squeaks by Colorado when it comes to grade school math. But there may be small consolation to be found because the report only examined 26 states. The good news apparently, is that in the worst-case scenario Illinois may be setting hopelessly average state expectations. But that alone is not necessarily cause to worry.

The value of knowing how many Illinois students could pass Maine’s state tests is little. After all, the difficulty in comparing two completely different states with different demographics, socioeconomic climates, histories and cultures is daunting. The real problem is Illinois falling into the trap of teaching (and governing) to the test.

While the criticisms of NCLB are certainly valid, manipulating test cutoff points to pass muster is not OK either. Doing so does not hurt the students at the top of the class; it hurts the ones at the bottom who need the most help.

If Illinois schools cannot truly perform up to the national standards that NCLB sets, then that needs to be known, not to punish schools or teachers, but to examine what needs to be done to fix the problem. A state that promotes children up the ladder unprepared and declares it is making progress is not in anyone’s best interest. It is only perpetuating a culture of ignorance.

Could a national test be a better benchmark for measuring how well students are performing? Possibly. After all, most colleges require applicants to submit an ACT or SAT score. Using a federal test in conjunction with tests already in place may provide a better idea of where all of America’s students are.

Of course, the emphasis on tests is troubling. They reduce teacher freedom and too many children just learn how to fill in bubbles. But they are a necessary evil because they can show which students need more help overall and in some cases, need to be held back.

Honesty is the key. Honesty in tests, honesty in promotion and honesty in expectations will lead to true academic achievement for every Illinois student.