Bloomberg candidacy a dream candidate for the reality-based voter

By James Bickford

In the last two weeks, we have seen different Republicans and Democrats pitted against each other in the historic tradition of our two-party primary election.

I believe that the 2008 election could, and in my opinion should, see an independent step forward with the political firepower, core competency and dynamic personality capable of truly healing partisan divides and putting the American government back on a productive track.

Michael Bloomberg, mayor of New York City and multi-billionaire founder of Bloomberg LP, is the dream candidate for anyone interested in actually forging into reality.

Bloomberg is a highly speculated latecomer to the 2008 presidential election scene. He has positioned himself so that he can step into the race at a moment’s notice. And with a billion dollars of his own wealth earmarked for a potential race toward the White House, his newcomer status would not be detrimental to his chances.

He can outspend even the deepest campaign pockets without ever needing to raise a cent. He would also enter the race fresh and untarnished by the mudslinging of the campaign trail.

He is a viable candidate, but why should we be interested in him? I like him because he has the straightforwardness of a John McCain with the high ideals of a Barack Obama. He has the political clout of a Hillary Clinton and has been a more successful mayor than Rudy Giuliani.

He’s a super candidate, combining the best qualities of these four major contenders with a down-to-earth common sense rarely seen in politicians. He eloquently combines the ideals of liberalism and conservatism into a vision that appeals to me. Making the system smarter, maintaining fiscal conservation, but continuing social progress, seems to be the mantra of his actions.

During his term as mayor of New York City, he abolished an ineffective educational board, asked the city to hold him responsible and succeeded in significantly raising graduation rates, as well as reading and math scores.

He has used his skills as an entrepreneur in the creation of thousands of jobs for New Yorkers, driving unemployment to record lows.

One of the cornerstones of his political mission is increasing sustainability and smart energy generation and use. As a humble energy nut, I believe he has the most realistic and strategic energy policy of all the candidates.

Among these accomplishments and others, Bloomberg has also managed to bring the city out of a deep recession. Now that the city is experiencing a budget surplus, he has slashed taxes and the city’s bond ratings are at an all-time high.

Bloomberg has done amazing work in New York City and has the potential to become a viable candidate. The 2008 election is a pivotal one; Our president must be able to address issues of economic recession, environmental policy, partisan divides and much more. I believe that Bloomberg is the man for the job. Don’t let time-honored traditions allow you to overlook this Independent.