St. Johns Catholic Center prepares for Ash Wednesday

By Melissa Silverberg

By Melissa Silverberg

Staff Writer

Catholic students on campus can participate in Ash Wednesday services tomorrow in preparation for the upcoming lent and Easter Season.

Mark Randall, Director of Advancement for St. Johns Catholic Center on campus said, “It’s a time to reflect on our own mortality, that we all have sinned and are in need of healing.Catholic students on campus can participate in Ash Wednesday services tomorrow in preparation for the upcoming lent and Easter Season.

Mark Randall, Director of Advancement for St. Johns Catholic Center on campus said, “It’s a time to reflect on our own mortality, that we all have sinned and are in need of healing.”

Randall said that the Catholic Center will be offering 5 different times for mass on Wednesday at 8:00 a.m., 12:05 p.m., 5:00., 8:30 p.m., and 10 p.m. There will also be a mass in Spanish at 7:00 p.m.

Randall said that Ash Wednesday is one of the busiest days for the Center, adding that last year they saw over 5,500 people throughout the day.

“You don’t have to be catholic,” Randall said. However he added that the day is important to many college students because it is a time to look at your life and the role that your faith plays in it. “If your catholic, you’re always catholic.”

Fat Tuesday was traditionally a day to celebrate and enjoy whatever it is that people would be giving up for lent. Over time however it has turned into a widely-known day of partying.

Pat Bailey is a junior majoring in Special Education an lives at the Newman Catholic Center on campus. He said that he feels it is important to make his faith important to his daily life on campus.

“It’s a way that every day I can have a reason to get up,” Bailey said. “Going to mass is a great way to make your faith real.”

Easter Sunday falls on March 23, 2008.