Sampson scandal transcends IU athletics

By Indiana Daily Student

Bad news. Bad news. And yet more bad news. It seems this is all we’ve heard coming out of the Indiana University Athletics Department lately, especially since the investigations into IU coach Kelvin Sampson’s alleged recruiting violations. It seemed unlikely that Sampson would remain unpunished Friday, and that’s the way it should have been. IU must hold its students, faculty and family to a higher standard.

This controversy is not just about our Athletics Department. It’s about the reputation of all of IU. Sampson’s scandal has not only put a mark on the university in the athletic realm. It also leaves a shadow on the professional and academic worlds.

How attractive is our university if we are caught cheating our way to the top?

IU must hold its faculty to stringent ethical standards. In the event that Sampson kept his job, the IU community should have been seriously concerned. This decision would have reflected poorly on our university as a bastion for education.

How would it have looked for an IU student to enter the professional world knowing that his university didn’t hold itself above reproach?

Would this have meant IU students don’t have to hold themselves above reproach? The editorial board previously stated that Sampson must go if these allegations are true because the administration must retain its credibility.

We need to remember, however, that the Sampson scandal isn’t the only bad news we’ve heard from the Athletics Department recently.

The football players arrested recently certainly weren’t good for public relations.

Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan lectured IU students in the IDS for their poor decorum at the basketball games, yet no one stepped up to take command of the situation at the games.

After missing the first nine games of the season because he was academically ineligible, A.J. Ratliff left the basketball team with little explanation.

And now, one of the most storied programs in college basketball history is losing its story.

Don’t be surprised if next year’s success is meager at best. The loss of at least one scholarship, the potential to lose recruits and the possible suspension from postseason play next year are all plausible events.

The Athletics Department could be reaching in shallow pockets if there’s little motivation on behalf of students and faculty, community members and alumni to purchase season tickets next year, especially if postseason play is suspended.

We experienced great, entertaining games under Sampson.

But remember, while Bobby Knight ran a clean program, he was ultimately dismissed because of inexcusable actions. Sampson was no exception.

The program won’t be cleaned up by banning “Bring Back Bobby” shirts.

We need our administrative officials to take as much pride in our university as we do as students.

The problem is bigger than Kelvin Sampson.

We’re calling on Indiana University to take decisive action to ensure the next time we make national news, it’s a story we’ll all be proud to read.