Attend debate on Affirmative Action

By Paul Cruse III

Affirmative action. When you hear of this policy many words come to mind: black, white, racism, reverse discrimination, minority and the list goes on. Through personal experience, research and based off your own individual values, you have formed an opinion on the subject. Today there will be a chance to fortify or even change your opinion about affirmative action. At 6:30 p.m. in the Lincoln Hall Theater there will be a debate on this hot topic.

The reason you should attend this event is because this isn’t your everyday debate. It doesn’t have two different student groups arguing over who is more racist, using statistics on economic disparity and retention rates and quoting parts of the Constitution. This debate will encompass two very intelligent academic scholars. In addition, both of these scholars are of African American descent. You get to hear from a black man why affirmative action is necessary and worthwhile, but you will also hear from another black man why this policy is inherently flawed. The panelists will include professors Michael Eric Dyson and William B. Allen.

Professor Michael Eric Dyson will be arguing the affirmative side. He believes affirmative action is a worthwhile policy. Dyson is one of the nation’s most renowned public intellectuals. He holds a doctorate from Princeton University and is a professor at Georgetown University where he teaches religion, English and African American studies. Dyson has also taught at some of the country’s most prestigious academic institutions, including Brown University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University.

Dyson is a three time nominee and two time winner of the NAACP Image Award. First in 2004 for his “Why I Love Black Women” and again in 2006 for the New York Times Best seller “s Bill Cosby Right? Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?” Dyson has also appeared on “Today,” “ABC News Nightline,” “The O’Reilly Factor,” “The Tavis Smiley Show” and “Real Time with Bill Maher.” Dyson is also the host of his own syndicated radio show, “The Michael Eric Dyson Show,” which addresses social, cultural and political issues.

Arguing the negative side is William B. Allen, a professor of political science at Michigan State University. He was a visiting fellow in the James Madison Program on American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton. His biography says he is an expert on liberal arts education, its history, importance and problems.

He is also chairman and co-founder of Toward A Fair Michigan, a political organization, whose mission is “to further understanding of the equal opportunity issues involved in guaranteeing civil rights for all citizens … and to provide a civic forum for a fair and open exchange of views on the question of affirmative action.” He served previously on the National Council for the Humanities and as chairman and member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.

As students it is our job is to learn, but learning goes beyond the classes you signed up for. This is a prime example to learn about a subject that will undoubtedly affect your life somehow, if it already hasn’t. This is a free event, so all it will cost you is time. At that price it is more than worth it.

Paul is a junior in computer and political science and hopes to see you at the debate tonight.

Affirmative action debate

• Where: Lincoln Hall Theater
  • When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
  • Who: Michael Eric Dyson and William B. Allen

Event free and open to the public