Rev. Wright’s good outweighs the bad

By Paul Cruse III

Barack Obama has faced many attacks; from the nonsensical comments about not wearing a flag pin to the allegations of secretly being Muslim, the junior senator from Illinois has been forced to defend himself on more nonpolitical issues than any other candidate. After adequately defending himself from every other accusation, critics now are harassing him for his membership in Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ.

The church’s former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, has been called every name except the one his mother and father gave him. He has been called insanely stupid, unpatriotic and a black supremacist, just to name a few. All these ad hominem attacks stem from a few sound bites of him accusing the government of manufacturing AIDS or how 9/11 was a hoax.

Anyone who knows the Rev. Jeremiah Wright or has taken the time to research him will learn he is far from “un-American” or “unpatriotic.” During the 1960s, Wright left college to voluntarily enter the Marine Corps to fight in Vietnam. After his tour ended, he stayed in the service as a naval medical technician, and during that time he received numerous White House commendations.

In addition, Jeremiah Wright is far from being “insanely stupid” because after his service in the military, he went to the University of Chicago where received a master’s degree in theology and ministry.

Rev. Wright has dedicated his priestly career to his community. His church has more than 50 humanitarian ministries, including a technology center dedicated to teaching community members job-related computer skills. In addition, Trinity sponsors more than 30 college scholarships, including one personally funded by Rev. Wright himself.

Admittedly, he does focus on the plights of black people because the majority of his former congregation is black but that doesn’t make him a “black supremacist” or “Africentric.” To summarize a point made by Martin Marty, a professor of religious history at the University of Chicago, Trinity is no more “africentric” than synagogues are “Judocentric” or Chicago Irish parishes are “Celticentric.” They work to help their members.

One could even argue that Rev. Wright is the clerical embodiment of conservative ideology. He is a war veteran who has worked for his community and doesn’t ask for “government handouts.” Most conservative critics blame the black community for not being more independent and self-reliant. Here’s a man who has done that, and these same critics demonize him. Doesn’t that sound a little hypocritical?

Furthermore, some people are surprised by the racially toned and politically charged statements made in his church sermons. My question to them is, why? The African-American church has always been a place where blacks discussed race and politics. The African-American Second Baptist Church was created in response to racism. In Michigan in 1836, 13 black activists were given permission to create Michigan’s first black church. The church became a “station” in Underground Railroad.

The black church was also the focal point during the civil rights movement. Let’s not forget that Martin Luther King Jr. was a reverend. Jeremiah Wright’s sermons would seem like a whimper when compared to the roaring speeches given by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (like when he brutally attacked America for being involved in Vietnam in his lesser-known “Beyond Vietnam” speech).

Rev. Wright has done a lot of great things throughout his life, but I will admit that there are few things I don’t agree with; honoring Louis Farrakhan with a lifetime achievement award is one of them. I agree with Barack Obama and don’t condone awarding Farrakhan, who has made so many anti-Semitic comments, but you can’t judge Wright just off that one action. Nor is it possible to say that Barack Obama is somehow tainted by the actions taken by Rev. Wright.

Just because Wright was his pastor and his personal friend doesn’t mean he agrees with everything he has to say. You probably have a friend who believes or has said or done something you don’t agree with, but I bet that action or belief has not altered your friendship. I would also wager that you’re not tainted by your friend’s action, so then why would Sen. Obama be?

For Barack Obama to be criticized and harassed because of his association with Rev. Wright is ludicrous. The great things Rev. Wright has done drastically outweigh the bad. You can’t sum up a man’s 36-year humanitarian career in a 30-second sound bite.

Paul is a junior in political and computer science and regularly attends a black church at home.