Vice President Jindal?

By Sujay Kumar

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is a first-generation Indian-American. When he went to college, his dad told him he could be any kind of doctor. Piyush’s – err, Bobby’s – parents speak with accents. And yes, chances are he does like curry.

Jindal has been hailed as the future of the conservative movement and the next Ronald Reagan. John McCain has praised him as personally engaging and intellectually impressive.

Last weekend, Jindal was invited to McCain’s Arizona ranch along with Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, fueling speculation about McCain’s finalists for “American Vice President,” the spot for his number two man this November.

Since February, rumors have been swirling about McCain choosing Jindal for the vice presidential nomination. Whether a McCain-Jindal ticket will translate into Indian voters jumping aboard the Republican Jindal-train, may not be so easy to predict.

Political pundits have said that Jindal may be the perfect running mate for McCain. Jindal’s strong conservative views appeal to the far right who may not gel with McCain’s moderate stances. His religious awakening and conversion from Hinduism to Catholicism as a teen call to the Religious Right.

At 36, Jindal is a shot of fresh, young air to the prehistoric McCain campaign. And in an election that may pit McCain against the African-American Barack Obama, an Indian-American vice presidential candidate may counter the diversity blow.

But can Jindal corral the Indian-American voters?

There’s nothing that makes Indian people happier than seeing one of our own in the spotlight. We go berserk at the sight of an Indian in the audience of “American Idol” or “The Price Is Right.”

But when you think of a famous mainstream Indian, who immediately comes to mind? Uhhh, that famous musician with the drums, what’s his name Ravi something, Ravi Baichwal? Isn’t there some lady running Pepsi right now? Oh, I know! That girl on ER, no not John Stamos. Kumar from White Castle, they’re all on the tip of my tongue – Kal Penn!

If Kal Penn is the answer, then we have a problem. And no, ABC-7 Chicago News Anchor Ravi Baichwal does not count. You’re good Ravi, but not that good.

Enter Jindal. He’s a classic Indian success story. His parents were Indian immigrants who came here with nothing, and he worked his way to the position he’s in today in American politics. The Indian community would love to see one of their own a heartbeat away the White House.

But really, this is all purely speculation better left for cable news networks to argue over. It’s impossible to judge how a complex group of people will vote in November. Jindal’s Indian background may be as effective as Hillary’s experience or John Kerry’s war heroism when it comes down to the voters.

So all predictions aside, Jindal should be viewed as what he is, an intelligent and charismatic Republican successfully working the job he wants right now. Ravi Baichwal and the other voters will decide his future this November, or in 2012.

Sujay is a senior in biochemistry. He saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of This Movie Feels Like a Universal Studios Ride. Not in a good way.