The Golden Arches’ pro-gay agenda

Those looking for something to mock need look no further than the corner of 22nd and Spring streets in Oak Brook, Ill., today, where the American Family Association has planned a press conference announcing its call for a boycott against McDonald’s. Not because of the food, but in protest of the fast food giant “throwing the full weight of their corporation to promoting the homosexual agenda, including homosexual marriage.”

Yeah.

The AFA lambasts McDonald’s for failing to remain neutral in the culture wars, which is, of course, code for not agreeing with the group’s agenda. Among the restaurant’s offenses are promoting benefits for domestic partnerships and earning a high score from the Human Rights Campaign, a prominent LGBT lobbying group.

The association is specifically objecting to McDonald’s recent $20,000 donation to the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. That puts it squarely on the side of dozens of corporate giants that have done the same including Kodak, UPS, Intel and amusingly, its biggest competitor, Burger King.

So why is the group going after Ronald McDonald instead of the King? It’s not clear, and the last thing we want to do is to accuse its members of not making sense.

But McDonald’s should be ashamed of itself for working with groups that encourage inclusive policies. It should know better considering it has 31,000 locations in 119 countries serving more than 45 million people a day. It has a responsibility to fall in line with a militant Christian group that blamed the Virginia Tech shooting on the lack of god (read: their God) in schools. Anything less would be an affront to basic business tactics of appealing to as many customers as possible.

Furthermore, the leaders of the association should be applauded for fighting the good fight against the evil Golden Arches.

And while they’re at it, they should try to force McDonald’s to get rid of the dollar double cheeseburger too. That kind of value must be a sin.