Project helps fight freshman fifteen

By Annie Piekarczyk

So far, the college life here at the U of I has been particularly chaotic. Everywhere you turn you can find a huge event, a sea of orange and blue. And just for showing up you’ll be lucky enough to get a free Illinois T-shirt, a few new friends and a side of pizza … or some sort of food. Doesn’t sound too bad, does it? You’d be crazy to turn it down. But we all know that in between scarfing down pizza and soda, we’re thinking of those three horrible words: the freshman fifteen. Yikes.

It has become such a hot topic, especially for college students who, despite their higher youth and health, have more temptations to eat out than usual. So much so that I just recently came across a research project here at the U of I that looks further into the freshman 15, myth or reality, specifically for us ladies. It’s called Project PEER: Peer Education, Exercising, and Eating Right. It’s a study that provides half of its participants with upperclassmen mentors (all of whom are trained in nutrition and kinesiology) who will help you stay healthy during your first year at college through good nutrition and exercise. The other half will go on with their freshman year, only checking in with the mentors at the beginning and end of both semesters for the big weigh-in.

It focuses on ladies because let’s admit it; guys don’t struggle as much with weight as women do. Women face social pressure to be thin, even more so today than ever before, especially in comparison to that of men. But to put it simply, women are more body-conscious than men. And we all know we bought those size 4 dresses for the fall. If we’re a size six when fall actually rolls around, it’ll be the end!

That’s why when our parents send us here to college, they warn us about it. “Stay away from those brownies! And don’t eat out too often!” Puh-lease. If they only knew how good the brownies really are, or just how fulfilling eating a sandwich at Jimmy John’s is, or most importantly, how delicious Chicago-style pizza is. The temptation is enough to make you gain 15 pounds!

So just a few days ago I signed up to be a participant in this project because I wanted to beat the dreaded freshman 15 like all the Web sites advertised. For the next six days I will be wearing an accelerometer attached to a black belt around my waist to calculate the amount of energy I exert during my daily activities. Attractive, I know. I also have to keep a food diary for three days which includes writing down everything I eat.

I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll get a regular munchie mentor. It’d be a challenge, but one I’m willing to take on. I do love the occasional one pound bag of Twizzlers, but after all, I want to be one of the girls who still fit into her size 4 dresses in the fall.

But if you’re not a participant in Project PEER there are still plenty of ways to stay healthy and avoid the freshman 15. Next time at breakfast, instead of going straight to our second favorite version of french fries, a.k.a. hash browns, hit up the cereal bar. Grab an apple in between meals instead of chips. Have a salad for dinner but go light on the dressing. Skip the bus and walk to your classes. And take advantage of the new rec center, it’s there for a reason. Plus, it’s another great place to meet people!

Last but not least, being healthy does not mean you have to skimp on the good stuff. If you’re really craving for some chocolate like I always am, grab a candy bar and take a bite and save the rest for later. It’s better to satisfy that small craving with a small portion than to avoid it and eat a handful of whatever else is laying around. Like my mom always says: Everything is good in moderation. I’m sure someone else said that before her, but she’s my number 1. And she’s a size 4.

Annie is a freshman in broadcast journalism and she’ll be the one holding up the lunch line tomorrow.