Team should learn from Jamar’s tale

By Ryan Dixon

So, if you haven’t already heard, the Fighting Illini men’s basketball team will be without the services of Jamar Smith. Again. And this time we can be sure he’s not coming back. Head coach Bruce Weber and the rest of the program mercifully granted Smith a shot at redemption after the accident involving the Peoria, Ill., native and former teammate Brian Carlwell that occurred in February 2007. Now, after allegedly violating his probation on July 25, Weber dismissed Smith from the team – a decision some thought should have been made more than a year ago. But it doesn’t matter how badly the team needs Smith back, an increase in three-point percentage definitely isn’t worth a third chance.

I think I speak for a majority of Illini basketball fans when I say I was dumbfounded after reading part two of Smith’s delinquent diary. I sat there thinking, “Why, oh why, did he even put himself in that position?” Most college students could only dream of competing in sports at the Division I level in front of thousands of fans, let alone doing it on a free ride. And Smith threw that opportunity away.

Many people criticized Weber for not abandoning Smith after last year’s accident. Instead, a “personal agreement” was made in which Weber would allow Smith back onto the team. Despite the generous offer, Smith broke the terms and lost his spot on the roster. I respect Weber for trying to help his athlete through his difficult time. But in order to receive help from others, you have to be willing to help yourself. Obviously, Smith didn’t get the message. Now, the former guard has been made into an example for the rest of the team. Or so I hope. Another off-the-court distraction is the last thing a rebuilding Illini team needs. Let’s hope Smith’s mistakes have really hit home for any athlete aspiring to play at this level.

“Jamar and his family need to focus their attention on the issues that have brought Jamar to this point,” Weber said in a statement on July 31. “For the good of our program and players we need to move forward and prepare for the 2008-09 season.”

I agree. The Illini now need to move forward.

Without a doubt, Illinois will miss Smith’s athletic abilities. Statistically, Smith probably would have bolstered the Orange and Blue’s backcourt after last year’s dismal season. Smith averaged 8.1 points per game in his 53 appearances. Unless you had your head in the sand, you’re already aware of last year’s atrocious free-throw shooting. The Illini sank a lowly 60.8 percent of its free throw attempts, placing them in the cellar of the Big Ten. Illinois was next-to-last in the conference in three-point shooting percentage and three-pointers made per game at 31.9 percent and 5.6, respectively.

Even without Smith, Illinois remains a backcourt-heavy squad with six guards on the current roster. More offensive production is to be expected from Trent Meacham and Demetri McCamey. Meacham made 40 percent of his attempts from behind the arc last season, and McCamey shot 34 percent from three-point land. The Illini should also receive increased guard play from transfer Alex Legion, who could be eligible to return by the end of December.

As for Smith, there are a few options still available to him down the road. I like to think that everyone is capable of turning negatives into positives. Not giving Smith a third chance as an Illini basketball player might be exactly what he needs to succeed in other ways. Hopefully, Smith can learn from his mistakes and gain trust and confidence in his future endeavors. We do know that Weber and the program are still behind their former player.

“We will continue to do everything we can to help him continue his academic career and achieve his goal of graduation,” Weber said of Smith in a statement.

Smith might even be able to play ball in Europe, following former center Shaun Pruitt. One bright spot for Smith is that he is still young. There is time for him to redeem himself – just not as a Fighting Illini.

Ryan Dixon is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected].