The case against Urban Outfitters

By Chelsea Fiddyment

The buzz has been endless. People seem to be leaning out of doors and shouting the news to one another: Urban Outfitters has arrived in Champaign!

The store, located in one of the monstrous Green Street high-rises, has already been a topic of joyous discussion between members of the campus community returning for the new academic year. If you’ve got the money (and the patience) to live on Green Street, chances are good that Urban Outfitters’ prices are equally unobjectionable.

I don’t doubt that the store will see a large amount of business in the coming months. But many customers will shop unaware of the controversies in which the retail chain has been involved.

Let’s start with the top and work our way down. Richard Hayne, the president of Urban Outfitters, Inc., founded his business on much different principles than the ones he stands by today, at least according to a June 11, 2003 article in the Philadelphia Weekly online archives. Hayne contributed over $13,000 to ex-Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, who remains famous for his statements equating homosexuality to bestiality and pedophilia, and for declaring his belief that constitutional privacy rights do not cover sex acts between consenting adults.

By working our way down, I mean the bottom of the production chain. The same article asserting Hayne’s financial contributions to Santorum also details a conversation with the Urban Outfitters prez about the manner of clothing production for his business – presumably, sweatshops. Hayne confirmed that almost all of the clothing sold in his stores is made in Third World countries, “just like nearly all of the clothing sold in this country.”

He claims that if his merchandise were produced using domestic unionized labor, the prices he would have to charge to turn a profit would be unaffordable.

Isn’t $68 for a tank top already unreasonable, especially when the person making it probably doesn’t make a living wage?

Somewhere in the middle reside all of the clothier’s poor product choices. Questionable items have included T-shirts reading “Voting is for old people” in 2004 and Christmas ornaments in the shape of glittery handguns sold in 2006. While these may sound relatively tame to some consumers, both products were discontinued.

More prominently featured on Urban Outfitters’ list of product flubs are 2003’s “Everyone loves a Jewish girl” tees and 2007’s “anti-war” scarves.

The “Everyone loves a Jewish girl” shirts featured said slogan prominently in the middle of the chest, surrounded by stylized dollar signs and shopping bags.

The Anti-Defamation League commended the store’s eventual decision to discontinue the item but has also condemned more recent products, including T-shirts reading, “New Mexico, Cleaner than Regular Mexico” and “Erin Go F*** Yourself” (a spin on “Erin Go Bragh”, a traditional Irish expression).

In 2007, “anti-war” scarves were sold by the retailer but pulled because of their strong similarity to the kaffiyeh, so recognizably worn by Yasir Arafat and often considered a symbol of Palestinian solidarity. The New York Times attributed the swift discontinuation to a post on the blog “Jewschool” which strongly voiced its disapproval the same day.

I already anticipate the reader responses stating that these so-called controversies have been taken far too seriously. Richard Hayne has the right to a political opinion, many retailers employ sweatshop labor overseas, stereotypes are only meant as a joke, and people shouldn’t read so much into colorful neckwear.

To them, I say that everyone has a right to enjoy non-procreative sex with a consensual, fully-comprehending adult partner; ending sweatshop labor requires the awareness and effort of people who will never have to work in one; stereotypes are never funny, and there is a sincere difference between political correctness and genuine respect; and American consumers need to understand that international politics are not fashion fodder – ignorance of cultural symbolism is based on our own narcissism.

I think it’s safe to assume that I will not shop at Urban Outfitters anytime soon. I hope this column provides sufficient encouragement to do the same – and to always do your homework before making a big purchase, like an obnoxiously overpriced shirt.

Chelsea is a senior in English and music and is excited for classes to start. Seriously though, she loves class. A lot.