Stepping out of your comfort zone

By Paul Cruse III

As school begins, going to class probably isn’t your only priority. Like most returning students, you probably have registered student organization (RSO) meetings planned for this week. For most of us upperclassmen who have leadership roles within our RSOs, preparing for a first meeting that attracts new members currently seems more important than any class we might have. But as we get ready for our own meetings, we should look at what other groups might have to offer. The beginning of the year is the best time to try new things, meet new people and ultimately get out of your comfort zone.

When people think of groups to join, the most common approach is to look for one that shares your interests or goals. But I would recommend the exact opposite. I recommend that you join a group that doesn’t contain a bunch of clones, who all have the same goals, values and interests. I concede that participating in extra-curricular activities that you enjoy is important and I’m not saying you should do things you hate or make you feel uncomfortable all the time.

What I am saying is if you already found that professional fraternity with all those post-graduate connections and the RSO with all those people you like, try joining something a little different. For example, if you’re an engineering major and already apart of an RSO for engineers, try joining an art club or a foreign movie club.

You might just find something new to like that you never knew existed. In addition, you may have skills that other groups could utilize. For example, if you’re a computer science major with advanced skills in web design you may be able to help a photography RSO develop a really impressive web site that allows them to show off all their great pictures.

You would become increasingly important to the group and might develop some new skills that you would make more competitive in the job market, or just pick-up an enjoyable hobby.

Joining clubs outside your interests is a way to try something new, but there are other RSOs available that are different in other ways. You could participate in a ethnocentric RSO. Most RSOs tailored to one ethnic group would not be hostile to anyone outside of their ethnicity who tries to join the group. In most cases, the group members would be very welcoming of you and your attempts to understand their culture.

They would most likely be very impressed that you are taking the time to experiment and come out of your comfort zone to see things from their perspective. Most minorities are very comfortable being the only member of their ethnicity in the group but some white people have never experienced that. This exposure could allow you to better relate to others in class or later when you enter the workforce.

If you’re interested in international business or law, being able to interact with people of different ethnicities than your own is a big part of your job. But even outside the realm of international industry, American corporations are looking for employees with interracial experience. As the nation becomes increasingly diverse, it has become imperative for corporations to be able to target different groups.

So this week, go to meetings for groups that are important to you and seem very interesting. But before you empty out your Quad Day bag and throw away all those flyers and hand-outs that seem “worthless” to you, give them a second chance. Take a chance, get out of comfort zone, and look at all the possibilities this great university has to offer. You might just find something you like, and something that will make you a better person.

Paul is a senior in computer and political sciences and will attend a meeting for interpretive dance.