Counseling Center lifeline for U of I students

By Katie Dunne

“Counseling Center, can I help you?” Click.

The first time I called the Counseling Center, I was terrified. It felt like an admission of inadequacy, a loss of control. In hindsight, it was much simpler than that. I was sad, and I wanted to talk.

For a lot of students, it’s not that simple. Roughly fifty percent of this campus has experienced serious depression while in college. Based on national statistics, almost 20,000 U of I students felt so depressed in the last school year that they found it difficult to function normally.

Though it affects almost half of us, depression is stigmatized. We live in a society where self-help is respectable and seeking help is weak. It’s written in our history. Many of our grandparents lived through the stock market crash, a world war, and civil rights reform. They pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and provided for large families. If they lived through the Great Depression, can’t we survive a small bout of it?

The problem is that for many college students, it is not just a small bout. In 2005, suicide was the third leading cause of death among young adults ages 15-24. During the same year 32,637 Americans took their own lives. That is 32,637 too many. No one should feel ashamed about seeking help for depression, and no one should wait until thoughts of depression have escalated to thoughts of suicide.

As U of I students, one of our most important resources is the Counseling Center. I admit, it is somewhat intimidating, located at the bustling corner of Sixth and John in the Student Services Building. On my first visit, I prepared a mental list of excuses in case I ran into someone I knew. “I’m just getting information for a friend.” “I had to drop off some paper work at the Dean’s Office.” “This isn’t Swanlund?”

I quickly realized that the Counseling Center is not a scary place. It is a lifeline for many U of I students, and for good reason. Clinical psychologists, licensed social workers, and pre-doctoral interns work with students both one-on-one and in group therapy sessions. These professionals specialize in areas ranging from eating concerns to test anxiety to suicidal behavior and most things in between.

I never realized how liberating it could feel pouring your heart out to a total stranger. The counselor that I spoke to asked some questions and took some notes, but for the most part, she just let me talk. Turns out that’s exactly what I needed.

Making an appointment is easy, and you already paid for it with your Health Services Fee, so why not get your money’s worth? Appointments are made on a same-day basis by calling 333-3704 beginning at 7:50 a.m. All Counseling Center records are confidential in accordance with Illinois mental health law and are in no way associated with your academic record.

With depression affecting such a large portion of the population, it is important to understand the problem. Depression can be caused by a variety of stressors and chemical imbalances, often combined with genetic predisposition. Observable warning signs include withdrawal, sleeping too much or too little, dramatic mood changes, and alcohol or substance abuse, among others. If you have a friend who exhibits warning signs, encourage him or her to get help. For crisis prevention, call the national suicide hotline at 1-800-273-TALK or the Suicide Prevention Team at the Counseling Center.

I have heard it said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but in the midst of depression, problems feel far from temporary.

Luckily, with the right help, depression can be treated. Eighty to ninety percent of people who receive treatment experience significant improvement.

If you’re struggling with depression, an eating disorder, other serious problems, or if you just need someone to talk to, give the Counseling Center a call. It took me a few tries, but I’m glad I did.

Katie is a senior political science and Spanish and she thinks you should talk about it.