Let’s see the Sox in the playoffs

By Ryan Dixon

It’s that time of year again. The days are getting a little shorter and you start seeing more sweat pants and hoodies on the Quad. The leaves will soon start to turn. It’s playoff time for Major League Baseball, but it’s also time for me to balance out one of my columnist counterparts: Cubs fan Dave Fultz.

The Chicago White Sox are on the brink of making the playoffs for the first time since their 2005 World Series championship run. No, I’m not using that reference as a jab at Cubs fans. The Sox, despite multiple efforts at gift-wrapping the AL Central to the Twins, still lead the division heading into the final four (possibly five) games of the season. A recently anemic offense and armless bullpen have resulted in many broken electronics and sleepless nights on this columnist’s behalf.

And yet, the Sox still have a lead.

If the South Siders either lead or trail Minnesota by 1/2 game after Sunday, Chicago will have to make up a game against Detroit that was rained out earlier this month.

If it comes down to a Sox-Tigers game, I like the Sox’s chances. I doubt old man Leyland will care enough to motivate his team into playing a meaningless game at “The Cell.” Actually, it was the Tigers and Indians who were supposed to be fighting atop the division this season. Look where they’re at. And the Yankees won’t make a playoff appearance for the first time since 1993. Gotta love baseball.

Anyway, if the White Sox fail to make the postseason, I’ll probably root for the Rays, the best story in baseball (but also a potential ALDS opponent).

What’s worse, though?

1. Do what you’re supposed to do all season, win an expected divisional title and then lose in the playoffs (one possible fate for the Cubs)?

2. Exceed expectations all year only to fall short of making the playoffs at the very end?

Right now, I’m thinking the latter would be worse – so don’t do it to me, White Sox.

I admit I was spoiled in 2005. Ozzie’s crew stomped through the postseason en route to the title. Well, three years has felt like an eternity. So, like anyone who bleeds their team colors would say, “Do it again!”

The White Sox have some of the necessary parts to succeed in the playoffs … if they get there. The team doesn’t rely on a single ace, but Gavin Floyd and John Danks provide the Sox with above-average pitching. And don’t forget Mark Buehrle and Bobby Jenks, who have extensive playoff experience.

The White Sox also posses spark plug athletes like Orlando Cabrera and A.J. Pierzynski, who are capable of turning a game around by themselves.

If they’re not over-swinging to hit nine home runs a game, the Sox lineup is definitely one to fear in the playoffs. Griffey and Thome offer plenty of power from the left side of the plate, while a healthy Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye provide right-handed clout. Let’s not forget the magic of Nick Swisher’s and Juan Uribe’s ever-changing facial hair.

Something about this year’s squad reminds me of the championship team. Maybe it’s the scrappiness of players like Dewayne Wise and Alexei Ramirez. Or maybe it’s the underdog mentality. Oh wait. I’ve got it. It’s the fact that I almost have a heart attack during every game down the stretch. One thing’s for sure, the Sox need somebody, anybody, to step up this final week. Paul Konerko (cough, cough).

Plus whether we admit it or not, Sox fans, there’s extra pressure on Guillen’s bunch because the Cubs have already punched their ticket to the postseason.

The media have hyped a Red Line Series since June. With the North Siders already a favorite to make it to the Series, half of that equation seems complete.

Sure, an all-Chicago World Series would inevitably destroy the city and any Olympic hopes would most certainly be shattered, but time would freeze in late October.

With home-field advantage belonging to the America League (thanks, Dan Uggla), the Sox could catch a break and snag another championship. I know, I know, I’m getting way ahead of myself. They have to get there first!

Lastly, I would like to extend a friendly wager to my fellow columnist – Mr. Fultz. If the Sox make it to the playoffs, there MUST be some sort of bet (involving embarrassing punishment) for whichever man’s team is eliminated from playoff baseball first. The point of this proposal is, of course, moot pending an end-of-season collapse by my White Sox. For my, and Hawk Harrelson’s health, please hold on.

Ryan Dixon is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected].