The change that we can log onto

By Paul Cruse III

Barack Obama is not wasting any time debunking the naysayers. He is hard at work trying to fix this country long before his presidential term. A good example of this is his brand new Web site change.gov.

Change.gov is the official Web site of the Office of the President Elect. You are probably thinking: Why do I care about a Web site, even the Amish have one nowadays. Well the reason you should care is because it shows that Barack Obama will be using the same tactics and hard work that lead him to victory to create a better America.

Now, as a web designer, I must admit that the theme of this site is especially pretty. Just like Obama’s campaign site, change.gov is full of modern themes, such as flash elements, gradients, implied-shadows, reflections and transparencies. But this site is a little more (dare I say it) presidential. It boasts a regal red and gold, as well as the all-American blue. The color scheme screams commander-in-chief and so beautifully contrasts; it’s the color scheme of a web designers dream. But this site isn’t just eye-candy, it has some really cool services.

It will host Obama’s weekly video message (which will also be available on YouTube) like an updated version of FDR’s fireside chats. Not only will it reflect on the things in the past, but it will also give a preview of what President Obama will be working on in the future.

Of course, the Web site hosts your basic “About Us” section. This section talks about the president elect’s transition plans, his steps to make a smooth transition and his inauguration. But the president also plans on using this site for all the people in his administration. Each member will have their own bio and blog.

Another cool feature is that you can apply for position in the executive branch. All you do is upload your resume, fill out the basic forms, and after that, you get an e-mail confirmation that says your resume will be on file for four to eight years.

The absolute coolest offering has to be the “submit your ideas” section. The president has broken down his agenda into 24 parts that range from civil rights to technology. On each page, there is a brief description on the current status of the agenda and the administration’s plan for that section of the government.

You can also share your story, like a mini-blog, and tell the president-elect how important this election was to you, even if your candidate didn’t win.

This really takes the presidency to the 2.0 level. Barack is the first president to really embrace the digital age by asking we the citizens to help him lead. As I have said in other columns, Barack can’t do everything. He needs our help, too.

The Web site upholds this principle as well; it just doesn’t ask you to leave your ideas but it asks for your contact information. The information will be used by the president’s office to coordinate volunteer relief efforts. After you fill out the form, you will be sent messages asking you to provide your time to help other fellow Americans in need. Currently, this is being done to help support California in the wake of the state’s huge wildfire damage. Just imagine if this was available during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Whatever you say about Barack Obama, you can’t deny that he is trying. The things he is trying aren’t regular Washington politics. He really is bringing change to America. He is taking different approaches to helping the country govern itself. So Barack Obama has brought change already, it’s change you can log on to.

Paul is a senior in political and computer science and is on many four-to-eight year waiting lists.