Big Ten primed for ACC Challenge Big Ten/ACC

By Ryan Dixon

Wisconsin (5-1) at Virginia Tech (4-2)

The inter-conference battle begins tonight with the Badgers visiting the Hokies. Wisconsin’s lone loss came to the No. 2 team in the country in Connecticut. Trevon Hughes and Marcus Landry are too good to drop a second game this early in the season. Virginia Tech has lost two of its last three. I’m giving this game to Bo Ryan’s boys.

Tuesday

Duke (7-0) at Purdue (5-1)

This matchup looks to be one of the two most exciting games in this year’s Challenge. The Blue Devils, a perennial powerhouse, travel to West Lafayette, Ind., to take on one of the preseason favorites to win the Big Ten. Duke, who has never lost a game in the Challenge, will be able to match Purdue from behind the arc. But I love the way the Boilermakers play, and E’Twaun Moore is rattling off nearly 17 points per game. I like Purdue at home.

Clemson (7-0) at Illinois (6-0)

The Tigers and Illini sit atop their respective conferences. Wow. I’ve been impressed with the improved play from Illinois’ Mike Tisdale after his slow start. He’s shooting the ball much better. Maybe Bruce Weber’s frontcourt won’t be as weak as I once thought. Illinois has already tallied two victories against NCAA Tournament teams from last year (Vanderbilt and Kent State). The Illini are out to prove something this season, and defense has been the team’s strength thus far. That’s a good thing considering Clemson is posting more than 80 points per game. Illinois wins the battle of the Oranges.

Ohio State (3-0) at Miami (4-1)

This is a tough call. Miami, like Wisconsin, lost its only game to the Huskies. A high scoring game will favor the Hurricanes, who are at home. And the Buckeyes have faced zero competition so far this season. I just don’t think OSU has the firepower to stick with Miami.

Virginia (3-2) at Minnesota (6-0)

The Golden Gophers are one of those teams who are going to surprise a few people this year. They’re big, they can score and they have Tubby Smith. Minnesota should win this matchup quite handily, especially at home. This is one of my locks for the Big Ten.

Iowa (6-1) at Boston College (4-2)

Forget Iowa’s record. They’re not good. I promise. They’ve beaten the likes of Southeast Missouri State, Citadel and Oakland. I wasn’t even sure they had basketball programs. The Eagles should dominate the Hawkeyes.

Wednesday

North Carolina (6-0) at Michigan State (4-1) – at Ford Field

I like Tom Izzo. But, I don’t like him that much. Besides, the Spartans already lost to Maryland (another ACC opponent) by 18 points.

Indiana (3-2) at Wake Forest (5-0)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Deep breath. Ha ha ha ha. Wake Forest wins.

Michigan (5-1) at Maryland (4-1)

This is my surprise pick of the Challenge. The Wolverines already upset UCLA this season. Yes, I know the Terps beat Michigan State. Don’t ask me why, but for some reason I believe Manny Harris and his 22.3 points per game are going to get it done. Michigan … in a close one.

Florida State (7-0) at Northwestern (3-1)

This is a toss-up. Honestly, I thought about this game for a half hour. Then I decided that Florida State was going to win.

Penn State (6-1) at Georgia Tech (4-0)

If you’ve been following my math then you already know who I pick to win. The Nittany Lions’ Talor Battle is one of those solid players not too many people know about. He’ll lead Penn State to the win.

If not because of your hate of the ACC, band together through your love of the Big Ten. This is the year.

It’s that time of year again. You know – when the Big Ten tries to bite off more than it can chew. Still not sure what I’m talking about? Today marks the beginning of the 10th annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge. For nine straight years the ACC has mopped the floor with the Big Ten. I’m sick and tired of it. So that’s why I’m calling it here and now. This, the 10th consecutive season of the Challenge, will be the year the Big Ten reigns supreme.

Ryan Dixon is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected].