Bailouts, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Tina Fey, George Ryan and Scott Green … Who got to have the best semester ever?

By Chelsea Fiddyment

After the initial ruckus surrounding the planning of the primary bailout package (maybe most notably concerning John McCain’s cancellation of his appearance on the “Late Show” with David Letterman back in September, when he decided to put his campaign on hold), the talk of bailouts has only increased. Financial corporations, automobile manufacturers, the housing market – everyone is getting a piece of the bailout pie!

Grad student Sarah Borys wrote in to the DI for hers on Dec. 1, and Moonstruck Chocolate Cafe could have used one back in October. Following the Tribune Company’s declaration of bankruptcy, Oren Spiegler made mention of the fact that the newspaper industry ought to be considered for bailout benefits before the Big Three.

Between the University’s hiring freeze and the coming tuition increase for 2009, we could all use a little bit of a bailout.

Let’s move on to Barack Obama: Over the course of the fall ’08 semester, he chose Delaware senator and former rival Joe Biden as his running mate, accepted the nomination as the Dems’ presidential candidate, raised record amounts of money (enough to run a 30-minute primetime campaign ad/documentary in October) and on Nov. 4, won it all. Who could forget the crowd that flooded Green Street, marched toward the Main Quad and laid down some sweet beats in front of U of I’s own “Obama Mater”?

And President-elect Obama’s popularity has yet to die down. We have so many questions!

What kind of “first lady” will Michelle make?

What is Robert L. Schulz’s problem?

And for God’s sake, what kind of puppy are Malia and Sasha getting?!

In the meantime, we’ve basically forgotten that George Dubya won’t leave the Oval Office until over a month from now, which makes him a candidate for the Best Semester Ever.

I seem to remember him inviting the Obamas to the White House, but other than that, he’s been flying so far under the radar that Dick Durbin asked him for a commutation of sentence on behalf of Illinois’ good pal, former governor George Ryan, who’s currently serving out his six-and-a-half-year sentence in Terre Haute, Ind. (a request Durbin said he would not make of Obama). Now that he’s a lame duck, Dubya can spend his last weeks as president doing whatever he wants. Oh, and getting shoes thrown at him by Iraqi journalists.

Then there’s SNL darling Tina Fey. Not only did her uncanny resemblance to Sarah Palin provide her with a semester filled with comedic gold, “30 Rock” won four more Primetime Emmys this year. Enough said.

Finally, Scott Green gets a “Best Semester Ever” nod for running in any and every possible opinions publication this semester, and for Aug. 28, when both columns that ran were his. What a go-getter.

So, who’s had the Best Semester Ever? It’s really up to you …

But I think it’s a tie between bailouts and Scott.

Chelsea is a senior in English and creative writing and can’t get enough of the Urbana Free Library.