Senator Caroline, the unqualified first daughter

By Lynne McMillan

What is Caroline Kennedy famous for besides being the last survivor of late President John F. Kennedy? Well, she gives lots of money to New York City schools and edits children’s books on the side. So, obviously, she is the perfect candidate to be the next senator of the third most populous state in the country. not so much. Although lacking in any political experience, she does have two things going for her: the gender card and the Kennedy card.

Why does the Democratic Party feel the need to replace senators moving up on the food chain with look-a-likes of their predecessors? Take our infamous senate replacement predicament. We all know the only reason we have a second senator right now is due to Bobby Rush’s threat to Harry Reid on national television: “I don’t think that any US Senator wants to go on record to deny one African American from being seated in the US Senate.” As in, we will call you all racists until the end of time if you make a peep.

To Blago’s credit (although this move was just another pulled from the jar “Manipulations of the Illinois people”), at least Roland Burris has some legitimate credentials to serve a public office, as opposed to Ms. Kennedy whose crowning public works achievement is organizing her father’s presidential library campaign. Remember, Roland was the state comptroller and ran for Chicago mayor and governor, oo la la!

Is it really necessary or even appropriate to appoint some of the highest-ranking public officials quid pro quo, woman for woman, black for black? For a country that continually pats itself on the back for its promotion of gender and race equity, isn’t this some strange type of political affirmative action at the very least?

And when did experience become so irrelevant in politics that it’s not even a talking point anymore?

Oh right, when Barack Obama won the Presidency of the United States after serving in the Senate for two years and campaigning from the Senate for another two. All “experience” conversations in politics have suddenly been halted with the revelation that the most revered Republican President Abraham Lincoln only served in the U.S. House of Representatives for two years before running for president!

The difference between our era and Honest Abe’s Civil War tenure: 150 years, an increase in life expectancy from 41 to 78, and a global war on terrorism.

Some people may argue that senators, and political offices in general, do not have any solid prerequisites to determine success, as we have seen everyone from doctors to entrepreneurs in the gallery. Suffice it to say, if you have a lot of money, want to run for a state-wide or even national office, and think you can win, go for it. That’s capitalism at its finest. But when we’re talking about a seat that is being given away by the governor, uncontested and without a popular vote, some standard for candidates should exist beyond brand name recognition. Remember, Blago told you, the Senate seat is “a f***ing valuable thing!”

Simply, last names and/or minority status should not be a substitute for actual qualifications to be an appointed official, if any of those still exist.

Although I tremble thinking about the fact that when Ted Kennedy dies there will not be a Kennedy serving in the Senate for the first time in seven hundred years, I’ll get over it.

At least they still have Patrick Kennedy holding down the family name in the House. Oh wait, is he out of rehab yet? Regardless, I’m confident there’s at least one person not named Kennedy in a state of 20 million that has at least an ounce of public policy experience and a shred of integrity to represent the state of New York.

Now if only the same could be said for the state of Illinois’ public officials.

Lynne is a senior in business and wonders if Hillary has read one of Caroline’s favorite books, A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children.