Illini fans dominate arena, help give team road win

By Ryan Dixon

Demetri McCamey, where have you been all my life? I need to buy you some gummy bears and a gas station gift card ASAP. I won’t be stingy this time of the year, especially after McCamey helped deliver the Illini’s second conference road win of the season. He deserves the Valentine’s Day gifts because of his game-winning shot.

I didn’t know I could be this love-struck the day before Valentine’s Day. Illinois finally won another game away from the Assembly Hall. Sure, it was more of a half-away game than a full one, but a win is a win is a win. At least that’s what my grand pappy says.

Welsh-Ryan Arena was swimming with orange, and Illini fans overpowered the Northwestern faithful for most of the night. “I-L-L” boomed throughout the game as the Orange Krush did its thing to pump up the crowd. If you haven’t experienced an intrastate conference game, I highly recommend it.

As the game winded down, I was tempted to say there’s some sort of road curse on Bruce Weber. Illinois is just so good at home and mediocre (at best) on the road.

I really don’t get it, and I’m not going to lie to you basketball fans. You’re better than that. If I had an answer, I’d probably be sitting next to the exquisitely dressed Wayne McClain every game.

But the Illini, who grabbed their 20th win and claimed sole possession of second place in the Big Ten, finally figured things out on the road for the first time in nearly two months.

Not to take anything away from the Wildcats – they played one heck of a game, making eight shots from 3-point land.

But a ferocious Illini press, applied in about the last five minutes, provided the Illini with enough spark to muster out a win.

It was quite captivating to witness the Chicagoland area’s love affair with the Illini on Thursday night in Evanston, Ill.

Illini cheers overwhelmed the stadium as orange and purple competed for attention all night long. It was actually anything but a lovefest.

But a win-drunk Krush stayed well after the game to rejoice and sing praises of the dramatic victory. They also called out to their beloved “Bruuuuuce!” 15 minutes after the game.

It’s apparent that the Illinois program has kind of hijacked most college basketball fans in the Land of Lincoln.

Don’t kid yourself. The Illini are the self-proclaimed collegiate basketball team of the entire state. If you don’t really have a preference, then you pretty much root for the Orange and Blue.

Just ask Bill Murray. The star of Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters was born in Wilmette, Ill., but attended Regis College in Denver.

Yep, Denver. But it was definitely Mr. Murray who I vividly remember cloaked in orange at “The Game” against Arizona. The cameras couldn’t get away from him.

I guess it also helps to have Michael Jordan on the Illini’s side. You know … because his son Jeff is on the team. I think he also won some championships too or something.

Oh, and I didn’t forget you, Trent Meacham. Three items of your choice off of the McDonald’s dollar menu. My treat.

Ryan Dixon is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]