It’s not too late to support Haiti relief effort

When a 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit Haiti, news organizations reported about the immense destruction, the large number of deaths, the search and rescue mission and the call for help. The devastation is profound, but through the darkness of tragedy, there have been bright points of hope and help. We’re proud to say that our University is one of the organizations that has answered the call.

Not only have registered student organizations and individuals helped raise money to donate to Haiti, but one of our very own professors is there now. Scott Olson, professor of civil and environmental engineering, travelled to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to assess the damage. He’s part of a nationwide team that will be there for a week conducting research on how this type of destruction can be prevented in future disasters.

While not all of us can actually travel to Haiti, we can give some of our time and money to groups on this campus that are helping the relief effort. Many organizations are setting up events or selling products to help raise money. While some events have already passed, you haven’t missed your chance to help. Psi Upsilon fraternity is selling “Hotcakes for Haiti” on Feb. 6. That same day, Caffe Paradiso is hosting live music and having a sale to raise support, and now, you can bring in items you’re no longer using for the shop to sell that day. Another fundraiser hosted by a group of graduate students, undergraduates and faculty members is coming up on Feb. 10. The Phi Gamma Nu professional fraternity is hosting a digital scavenger hunt on Feb. 20, and the Hendrick House is hosting a Super Smash Brothers tournament on Feb. 27. Panhellenic Council is continuing to sell T-shirts to raise money.

While this is nowhere close to being a comprehensive list of fundraisers held on campus, we hope that you’re able to find one that you want to attend. Even if you don’t want to leave the house, you can go online and donate money with a few clicks of your mouse or donate via text message. We hope you are able to give back.

Thank you to all the organizations and individuals who are doing what they can to help— especially to Professor Olson, who is putting his expertise to excellent use in an area that needs immense aid.

Now, more than ever, it’s time for all of us to dig deep and discover what we have to offer. As we sit at in our classrooms, residence halls and apartments, there is still so much we can do. The devastation in Haiti will take many months to combat. Let’s remember the disaster months from now, when there will still be suffering because of the earthquake, even if it’s out of media attention.