Take advantage of early voting options

It wouldn’t be too much of an exaggeration to say that college students are some of the world’s biggest procrastinators. We have made procrastination an art with everything from homework to studying for exams to cleaning our living spaces. But here’s one thing even we shouldn’t procrastinate on: voting.

Everyone knows that Election Day is on Nov. 2. However, most people don’t consider all of their options when it comes to voting. Casting your ballot is not restricted to one day. In fact, polls have been open in Champaign County since Oct. 11, and they’ll stay open until Oct. 28.

People have been fighting for the chance to give students access to early voting benefits by putting a polling place on campus. As students, we should look into these opportunities and use them their fullest extent.

Now that you are registered to vote (we hope), it’s your responsibility to actually make it to the polls, to make your voice heard in the political discussion.

If you are registered in Champaign County, you should seriously consider the advantages to casting your ballot now. For one, the lines will probably be a lot shorter. You’ll be able to pick a day when the weather is nice — not when it’s freezing or pouring rain. You’ll be able to pick a day when you don’t have to squeeze a time in between exams. In other words, you’ll be able to make your voice heard at a time that’s most convenient for you, and let’s face it: Convenience is a key part of the college lifestyle. It’s hard enough to muster up the motivation to drag yourself out of bed for an 8 a.m. class, much less figure out when in your day between studying and activities you can make it to the polls. You won’t have to wonder how long you’ll have to stay there to get the ballot in the box and still make it to class on time if there isn’t a line.

If you go to college in Champaign-Urbana, you should care about what happens to these cities, this state and this country. If you’ve already made up your mind about who you support, then why not be proactive and get your vote in now? The option is open, and so are the ballot boxes.