The freshman 15 not so inevitable

By Simran Devidasani

The freshman 15 — we’ve all heard about it and probably been warned about it.

For me, though, the dining hall experience has been unique — or so I’d like to think — because I’ve actually lost about seven pounds since coming to college. These seven pounds are attributed to my developed healthy food choices, daily activities and eating schedule.

The summer before college began, I was warned constantly by upperclassmen at the University about dormitory food. 

Everyone seemed to have the same perception that this food would make you gain massive amounts of weight because the food choices, according to them, were high in fat, and because you have the freedom to eat as much as you want.

I was also warned that by the end of a few months, the dining hall food would not be as satisfying because the food options start recycling themselves — the same macaroni and cheese and fried chicken just doesn’t have the same appeal for too long. 

But after coming back to California, during Thanksgiving break, I was constantly notified that I had lost a solid amount of weight.

I think three things contributed to that: Walking around to all my classes, which were a good distance away, eating lesser amounts at the dining hall because of the repetitive food choices, and physical RSO activities such as dance. 

While the rumor of the food recycling turned out to be true, the rumor of weight gain was a myth for me.

Being an Asian American, my diet tends to revolve heavily around rice, proteins (such as lentils or chicken), and many cooked vegetables, thus composing a well-balanced, but filling meal.

My timings for dinner would never be set, as I would always eat with the family and when the food was ready, which varied.

My physical activities were basic, such as dance and swimming, but definitely did not include running around from class to class with a 12 pound backpack.

In college, I have set times to eat based on my time schedule, as I have classes and club meetings to attend to. Sometimes, all I have time for is a quick sandwich and glass of milk compared to a sit-down meal at home.

Furthermore, I eat dinner earlier, which they say is better for digestion and weight loss. My physical activities in college range from walking to class to being a part of a dance team. Even doing daily chores are a physical activity, because back home, I wouldn’t have to do my own laundry every week, or run out to get the mail, or run down to the Ikenberry dining hall to drop off a package.

My parents would always do that for me.

While the school’s cafe does tempt us with a variety of unhealthy options, it comes down to us making conscious decisions about our eating habits — which plays into us growing up and making adult choices.

I often see students skipping meals, because of time restraints, and replacing them with a bag of hot Cheetos — and those are the same students who complain about the freshman 15.

In all honesty, though, the weight gain or loss is in your control as you can choose to buy an apple instead of a bag of chips. 

It’s up to us to make the right food choices. 

And while snacks here and there are alright, they shouldn’t be replacing meals.

Ironically, the availability of easily accessed “bad” foods, makes me stop wanting to eat them.

Back home, I would be tempted to buy and eat unhealthy foods, skip out on vegetables, and embrace the term couch potato, simply because I rarely had the options to do so. 

In college, however, I find myself missing those Indian vegetables my mother cooks, and now that I have a whole store dedicated to all the foods I want at 57 North, unhealthy foods included, I’m tempted to make better choices.

As students living on our own, our health is in our own hands based on the choices we make.

I’ve always heard that college teaches you to be responsible, but I never thought that it would mean with food as well. 

Simran is a freshman in Media. She can be reached at [email protected].