Hazing isn’t inevitable in Greek life

By Rebecca Kapolnek

“Wdo not joke about hazing” was one of the first things I was told when I joined my sorority. Upon hearing this I was immediately overcome with relief, as I realized that one of my worst fears would not become a reality during my time in the University Greek system.

When I came to Illinois as a freshman, I was dead set against joining a sorority for one reason — I was terrified of hazing. I had seen movies, heard stories and read articles that made it seem like hazing is the norm for new members in Greek organizations at large universities.

During this time of year on campus, the Greek system is finishing up initiating its spring classes, and houses are preparing to welcome more new members in the fall. During the 2013-14 recruitment season, hundreds of students joined Panhellenic Council sororities and Interfraternity Council fraternities.

In my experience, hazing is not as prevalent as people might perceive it to be. 

The University Student Code defines hazing as “an act that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of any person, or that defaces, destroys, or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation into, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, a group or organization.” Hazing can be extremely demeaning and incredibly dangerous; however, it is not something that occurs within every fraternity and sorority at the University — and it should not occur at any. According to University policies, every Greek house on campus must have a strict anti-hazing policy.

While some might choose to break the anti-hazing rules, others — like Sigma Kappa, my sorority — take them to heart.

Squashing the misconception that hazing is the norm is not only vital for the reputations of Greek houses on campus and their members, but it could also play a major role in getting more students to give the Greek system a try.  

At Sigma Kappa, we are not allowed to use the word “pledge,” and we do not classify anyone by the age or number of years they have been in the house. Calling someone a pledge automatically labels them and makes them unequal to their active member counterparts. My sorority even hosts an entire week dedicated to raising awareness about hazing and anti-hazing laws called “Respect Week.”

In addition, many fraternities on campus that I’ve interacted with pride themselves on the fact that they are non-hazing fraternities. By taking this title seriously, they promise that they do not haze their members in any way before they become initiated. 

Some fraternities also avoid the word pledge and call their class associates or new members as a sign of respect.

Brotherhood is the main focus of these fraternities, and it is extremely respectable to see fraternity men shattering the mold of the stereotypical “Animal House” fraternity experience.

With the University Greek system continuing to grow, it is more important than ever for students, parents and faculty alike not to assume that hazing is inevitable. With the strict University hazing rules in place and the extreme consequences chapters will shelter if they are caught hazing, it is becoming even more common to join a house and not be hazed. 

But if we are not careful, misconceptions that indicate otherwise could discourage incoming freshmen from rushing.

Like I said, I almost did not go through recruitment. 

I was convinced I would be forced to chug vodka from the bottle or be woken up in the middle of the night to go clean a fraternity house in order to fit in with my sisters. I could not have been more wrong about my experience with the Greek system, and I do not know where I would be without my sisters. I was treated with nothing but respect when I was a freshman, and I still have gotten the full Greek experience.

The Greek system should be all-inclusive, and students should not be afraid to join because of perceived hazing culture. There are so many sororities and fraternities on this campus, and from what I’ve seen, many of them do not haze. People should stop assuming otherwise, or the future of the Greek system could be in jeopardy. 

I went through recruitment. I joined a sorority. I was treated like an equal. I was not hazed, and I met my best friends. 

My experience is really more common than you think.

Rebecca is a junior in LAS. She can be reached at [email protected].