Filling Alma with the spirit of a 2014 campus

After almost two years without her, today we are finally able to welcome the Alma Mater back to campus with arms as open and warm as hers.  

As a way to commemorate her return and acknowledge the University as it is in the year 2014, a time capsule will be put into the statue with various items submitted by students, faculty and staff. The Daily Illini reported that an i-card, a brick from Garner Hall, a Commencement program and pin, along with other commemoratives will be placed inside.

Although we love the idea of a capsule filled with items intended to capture our time here, there are some things that can’t easily fit into a little compartment inside a statue — things that represent the people, places and experiences at our University today.

Below are a few we would like to acknowledge:

Our incredible ability to make our way to class in weather that simply cannot make up its mind

Nothing captures campus life in Champaign-Urbana quite like the mental image of students slipping and sliding their way across layers of slick icy sidewalks. Not to mention dealing with the torment of the back-and-forth between warm, sunny days and cold, wildy snow falls — it’s weather that really builds character. When students of the future complain about 10 degree weather, may they look at our resilience this winter as an example.

The sights and smells of campus

With Green Street being a continuous hub of change and innovation, we know it will not look this way forever. Places like Apricot Lane, Ragstock, Panda Express and Chipotle will probably be a thing of the past by the time the capsule is revisited in 100 years. However, we assume that KAM’S will still be here, and we can only imagine how its notorious stench will have evolved.

The hard-working mentality of University students

Although we sure do know how to have fun on campus, one aspect of our life here that can’t be tangibly captured is all of the time and effort we put into our various activities and school work. We are here because we are eager to learn and, as such, a majority of our time is spent glued to a laptop whether we are reading, taking notes, responding to emails or writing papers — all in an effort to acquire the ever-coveted diploma from our varying colleges. Hopefully, this is a characteristic of University students that will remain constant for hundreds of years to come.

These are only three of many intangible aspects of the campus in the year 2014 and regardless of how we remember our campus experiences, we are happy to have our Alma Mater back as she reminds us of what it means to be part of the University family.