Blackhawks have talent, experience to repeat

Editor’s note: This column is written as part of a point-counterpoint. The other column, arguing the Blackhawks will not win the Stanley Cup can be found here.

The regular season doesn’t matter anymore. Third place in the Central Division doesn’t matter anymore.

Once you’re in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, talent and experience win out.

The two banners hanging from the rafters of the United Center and the two rings on the fingers of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp and Joel Quenneville are all the proof needed — the Blackhawks know what it takes to win the Stanley Cup.

And that’s what matters.

The Blackhawks have struggled since the Olympic break going 11-10-1, but don’t forget that they are the only team with multiple Stanley Cup championships in recent history. No one else can match their experience.

Through their experience, the Blackhawks know not to lose the faith. They know if they get down three games to one, they can recover. They know if they’re down with 1:46 left in the game, it’s not the end of the world. They know they have what it takes to win. 

Although recent injuries have kept the Blackhawks’ top players off the ice, it may end up benefitting Chicago in the long run.

A well-rested Toews and Kane will go a long way toward making sure the Blackhawks are in top form in the playoffs. Vegas oddsmakers recognize the Blackhawks experience. Despite being the fifth-best team in the Western Conference and facing the Blues in the first round, Chicago is given the fourth-best odds in the NHL to win the Stanley Cup.

When the offense is on, it’s one of the best in the NHL: The Blackhawks ranked second in the league this season averaging 3.3 goals per game. With the combined talent of Kane and Toews, both Conn Smythe Trophy winners, the Blackhawks can outscore any team in the league with ease.

While the defense hasn’t been its strongest this season — ranking 12th in the league, allowing 2.7 goals per game — the Blackhawks have the 2010 Norris award winner in Duncan Keith and as a result, have the potential to shut down any team in the NHL on a given night.

The Blackhawks managed only the fifth-best record in the stacked Western Conference, however, the path to the Stanley Cup Final isn’t as tough as it looks. In the first round, the Blackhawks face the only Western Conference team with better championship odds, but also the only Western Conference team on a six-game losing streak. The other, stronger Western Conference teams — Anaheim, Colorado and San Jose — have all lost to Chicago at least once this season, with the Ducks falling in the season series 2-1 and the Blackhawks forcing overtime in both losses to the Sharks. 

The Blackhawks may not be the popular pick or the best regular-season team. But they have the experience — with two Stanley Cup championships under the belt — and talent — with two of the league’s best offensive players and one of the best defensemen in the NHL — to win the Stanley Cup for the third time in five seasons.

Johnathan is a junior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jhett93.