University needs to attract Illinois students

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Here’s a riddle: What goes up, never comes down, drives Illinois high school seniors away from this campus and current students into debt?

The answer: Tuition (we imagine that last part probably gave it away).

Some members of the Board of Trustees have apparently taken some notice. During last week’s Audit, Budget, Finance and Facilities Committee meeting, some trustees voiced their concern about rising costs and the need to ameliorate such expenses with increased and equitable financial aid distributions.

Considering we’ve been hemorrhaging potential Illinois students from coming to the University for the last few years, it’s about time we do something about it.

We have been losing these Illinois students to schools such as Mizzou and Iowa, which offer a similar college experience often at a fraction of the cost. Unless the University takes affirmative steps to stop the bleeding, there’s no reason to believe this trend won’t continue.

To be sure, college in general is becoming less and less affordable around the country, but few can rival the Illini in the cost department — and we don’t mean that as a good thing.

For 2013-2014, our very campus won the silver medal for the highest undergraduate resident tuition rate in the Big Ten, just edged out by the Nittany Lions. Overall, according to the U.S. Department of Education, the flagship of the University system also lays claim to the eighth most expensive tuition rate for in-staters among all public 4-year schools in the U.S.

So why are these high tuition rates problematic, particularly for residents?

We’re at a public school, funded in part by Illinois taxpayers, and should seek to advance the interests of the citizens of Illinois. There’s no question: It’s more profitable for the school to continue its gluttony of out-of-state and international students, but it shouldn’t be working under the mentality of a for-profit enterprise.

As a state institution, the primary goal should be to offer superior training and education for Illinois residents for the betterment of the state. An important component of making that happen is ensuring residents can afford to go here once they get in.

This issue should be a centerpiece of today’s discussions at the Board of Trustees’ meeting, and it needs to be carried beyond a mere conversation.

During last week’s committee meeting, Trustee James Montgomery posited (in regards to whether it would be possible to not increase tuition next year):

“Have we given any consideration to giving [students] a break for a year?”

We believe Montgomery and the rest of the board should consider it and match their concerns with actual action.