The power of positivity

By Rebecca Kapolnek

When I woke up Tuesday morning I had no idea what was about to hit me.

Tuesday felt like any other day. I was tired from the night before, I still had my wristband on from my friend’s 21st birthday celebration, and I was ready to do some last-minute homework before attending my classes and meetings.

But that Tuesday would be different. That Tuesday would teach me one very important life lesson.

About two months ago, I adopted my very first pet. A short-haired rabbit mix named Ricky. Ricky was my baby, and I loved that little guy more than anything. But unfortunately, that Tuesday I found him lying down in his cage. According to the vet, he passed away due to a stress-induced heart attack.

While I know it was just a rabbit and not a person, I took the loss pretty hard, wondering if there was something I could have done differently to prevent this.

In the end, I know there was nothing I could have done. Because of this, I decided to take a different approach to dealing with my feelings. I decided to embrace the power of positivity and remember everything he symbolized to me.

Positivity is something everyone needs to take into consideration when dealing with life’s trials. Whether it is a bad grade on an exam, the loss of a pet or a bad break up, bad things happen. I am a firm believer that nothing is thrown our way that we cannot handle. So why are we so quick to turn down the negative paths? We often hide out in our rooms, feel bad for ourselves or binge eat. 

College is full of changes. Some are good, and some are not so good. You might switch majors or realize your future plans are unrealistic. You might make new acquaintances and drift apart from old ones. Because college is a volatile time, these changes are to be expected.

But that is life, and life is all about your outlook. While at the time I did not think it was fair that Ricky was taken from me so early on, in the end I believe he taught me something very important. Instead of mourning his passing, I’ll positively remember all the happiness he brought me. He was so joyful, active and full of energy.

Being a senior, I have done a lot of reflecting on my time here at the University. While it has been short lived, it has been full of life. I’ve had the opportunity to meet some of my current best friends through my sorority, write for the paper and teach my very own class. 

Similar to how Ricky acted, I’ve been living college life to the fullest. 

Instead of feeling bad that I have to graduate in May, leaving behind friends and a lifestyle I’ve grown to love, I’ll bring my newfound positivity to whatever environment I end up in. And I’ll never forget the memories I made here. 

Everyone could benefit from adopting a similar attitude.    

Our time here on campus is just too short. But that shouldn’t be our main focus.

There really is power in positivity, and I’ve found that it can lead to happiness. Being a happy person is much more satisfying in the end than being unhappy. 

We shouldn’t dwell on negative situations — be it the death of a pet, the loss of a friend or departure from the University. We should make the most of things, especially our time here. 

I encourage everyone at the University, regardless of age or year, to get as involved as possible. Memories are not made sitting alone in your room. 

Join a club, go to a show at Krannert, go out at night, play Frisbee on the Quad, or even call your best friend to go out to eat. We have so many opportunities here and so much to be thankful for, even in light of bad situations. 

My pet was living it up just hours before he passed, and he was just a rabbit. We need to live it up until the day we graduate and beyond. So try your best to be happy. 

Don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy your time here. We really do not have it that bad. 

Rebecca is a senior in LAS. She can be reached at [email protected].