Show support for Breast Cancer Awareness month

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Astudents, family members, peers and citizens, we are all keenly aware of the prevalence and effects of cancer.

Whether we have dealt with cancer ourselves or know someone who has battled or survived it, it’s something that hits close to home. Cancer takes a toll on an abundance of people and the disease can be devastating and deadly.

This month acknowledges one type of cancer in particular. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and it is important not only because breast cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers among American women, but also because it has taken the lives of so many and has impacted more than 2.8 million survivors in the U.S.  

Whether we have had direct encounters with this disease or not, it is because of these millions of affected people that we should get involved in the many Breast Cancer Awareness month activities taking place on campus.

From participating in athletic events to wearing pink, there are many different ways that students can, and should, show their respect and acknowledgment for this important month.

One way students can participate in Breast Cancer Awareness month is by participating in the “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” 5K on Oct. 18 at Meadowbrook Park in Urbana. Whether you want to volunteer or participate in the 5K, there are plenty of ways to be a part of the event, and all donations go toward the American Cancer Society.

Other students can get involved in other all-encompassing cancer awareness groups on campus such as Illini 4000, Relay for Life of the University of Illinois, Colleges Against Cancer and others that raise awareness and money for cancer research and support.

This month, students can also show support by wearing pink, which is the color associated with breast cancer awareness. This week in particular is “Pink Week,” put on by Colleges Against Cancer.

As part of “Pink Week,” there will be a booth outside of the Illini Union through Oct. 10 where students can buy pink T-shirts to show their support. The money goes to the Relay for Life of the University of Illinois — another group that raises money for cancer research.

Regardless of how students choose to get involved, we think that making the effort to acknowledge Breast Cancer Awareness Month is necessary. 

Not only does it demonstrate our support for every person who has dealt with this particular form of cancer, but it also shows that the University really is a community where all of us can make our large campus seem a little smaller by coming together for a common cause.