Carle isn’t solely to blame for Urbana residents’ frustrations

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

We understand why the residents of Urbana are upset with Carle Foundation Hospital’s tax exempt-status — something that has impacted Urbana residents directly as they’ve had to make up these tax payments. At the same time, though, we also understand why Carle took advantage of the opportunity to accept this tax exemption. 

But in understanding both of these sides, we do not think Carle should receive the majority of the negative response from Urbana residents. Instead, these residents should aim to delve deeper into the issue and realize the blame cannot be placed solely on Carle and that other institutions are a part of the problem.

Carle and Presence Covenant Medical Center were granted tax exempt status in 2012, which has raised Urbana residents’ taxes 12 percent to support the local services affected by the tax exemption, said Charlie Smyth, Urbana City Council member. 

However, Carle is just taking advantage of a bill the Illinois General Assembly passed in 2012, which allowed not-for-profit hospitals to deduct charity work from property taxes. The problem lies here, as Carle should not be criticized for taking advantage of something the general assembly has carved out for them and other hospitals. 

Recently, Urbana residents have posted signs throughout the neighborhood in protest of having to pay excess taxes. As indicated in The Daily Illini, some of these signs have messages that state “MY FAMILY PAYS CARLE’S SHARE OF TAXES.” 

The anger and frustration that these residents inevitably feel is understandable, but Carle should not necessarily be the sole receiver of the finger of blame, especially since the hospital does plenty to help the Urbana community.

According to Carle’s website, the hospital provided $44 million in free or discounted care to 27,000 patients, and 4,000 of those patients were residents of Urbana, Jennifer Hendricks Kaufmann, Carle’s public relations manager, said. 

It most certainly seems unfair that Urbana residents have to bear the brunt of paying for health care for the other 23,000 patients who receive the care for free and do not live within the area. However, having healthy people that are able to work provides more of an economic benefit than an economic detriment of the taxes themselves. 

Paying a whopping 12 percent more for taxes is definitely problematic, but Urbana residents should look to address the Urbana City Council and Illinois General Assembly and tackle the root of the problem head on and voice their concerns.