Introductory courses are crucial for college success

By Rebecca Kapolnek

Thinking back to freshman year on campus, many things may come to mind. Whether it is memories of hopping on the wrong 22 Illini bus, sporting our new, fancy lanyard on campus or showing up to the wrong building for a final exam, freshman year is nothing short of an experience. 

However, I would be willing to bet one class sits in the memory of all liberal arts and sciences students on this campus: LAS 101 Freshman Seminar.

Over the past two years, I have had the honor and privilege of being able to call myself a teaching assistant for a unique class the College of LAS has to offer. I have taught anywhere from eight to 23 students how to navigate this new chapter in their life, introducing them to a variety of topics and campus resources.

Teaching students basic aspects of college life and hammering in life skills is one of the most beneficial things the University can do. Introductory courses in the University’s different colleges are a great way for these things to be accomplished during this transition process.

Last Wednesday marked my final class as an LAS 101 TA during my college career and it did not come without much nostalgia.

Like any teacher would argue, you become attached to your students and seeing them grow is the most rewarding thing someone can experience. The difference between students when they enter LAS 101 and when they exit is substantial. This is why I argue this class, and the topics covered, is essential and should stay mandated for all LAS freshmen. The same goes for the other introductory courses offered in every college. 

I will never forget my first day teaching my classes both last year and this year. As my students walked into my classroom with their heads down and cell phones out, I was filled with anxiety and fear of the unexpected. 

If I had a nickel every time I heard “why do I have to take this stupid one credit class?” I could pay my student loans.  

One major change I noticed between my students when they entered my class and when they exited was their understanding of the level of responsibility college requires.

To be successful in college, students need to be responsible enough to turn in assignments, seek help when needed and study for exams. 

We all claim that high school is very different than college. The first few assignments my students handed in for LAS 101 were met with much grade grubbing. My students did not like the no late work policy, and they were unhappy with the grading procedures, which they made known.

The first time they had a writing assignment, I was less than pleased with the subpar responses they yielded. However, at the end of the semester when I was grading their next writing assignment, I could see the growth they had made. 

I would argue that their first semester of college served as the wake-up call my students needed to make the improvements necessary to succeed. This is because LAS 101 teaches freshmen about a variety of topics including resume development, DARS reports, registering for classes, study abroad, critical reading and so much more. 

Every aspect of LAS 101 is beneficial if students decide to get something out of it. As I continued to teach my students throughout this semester, it was awesome to see the personal growth they were experiencing. 

When I look back on my college years, I know that my time teaching LAS 101 will be one of the parts I think of most. Being able to have an impact on the future of University students has been extremely rewarding and something I will never forget.

My advice to incoming freshmen when they prepare to take LAS 101 or other introductory freshman courses would be to take the class very seriously. The introductory course your college offers will teach you necessary lessons for college success. But, having a bad attitude and not taking it seriously will result in a negative experience. 

However, for those who let it, LAS 101 will help change you into a responsible college adult.

Rebecca is a senior in LAS. She can be reached at [email protected].