Grateful for Green Street growth

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Green Street is the heart of Campustown and is an important part of daily life for many at the University. We gormandize at restaurants such as Maize Mexican Grill, fraternize at bars such as Murphy’s Pub and reside in apartments such as 309. As such, we are glad to know efforts are being made to renovate Green Street to increase its accessibility for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike and to strengthen Champaign-Urbana’s urban core.

As reported in The Daily Illini, back in September, the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District was awarded a $15.7 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grant that will be used, in part, to repair Green Street between Fourth and Neil as well as Wright and Race.

Under CUMTD’s Multimodal Corridor Enhancement Project various streets in Champaign-Urbana, including portions of Green Street, will be enhanced with infrastructure improvements. These include bike lanes, better lighting and bus-only lanes that will improve transportation for a variety of commuter groups including socioeconomically disadvantaged populations and individuals with disabilities.

But the road itself is not the only thing getting improved with TIGER money. Last Thursday, the City of Champaign held an open house for its Green Street Steetscape Project. Components of the project include wider sidewalks, safer crosswalks, better lighting, improved traffic design and overall aesthetics.

Given all the changes to Green Street in terms of commercial activity over the past few years, with various national chains coming (or returning in some cases) to Campustown and numerous ongoing construction projects, it’s refreshing to see local government units investing in improved infrastructure. The University, long a champion of accessibility, has crafted a campus suited for individuals of various ability types, which has, in turn, attracted a wide variety of people to the Champaign-Urbana area.

In striving for a more accessible urban core, improvements to places such as Green Street acknowledge and encourage the continued growth of a diverse community in the Champaign-Urbana area.

Many stand to benefit from improved transit and more attractive infrastructure. Walkways and bike paths encourage carbon-neutral transit meaning cleaner air for everyone. Accessible well-lit sidewalks create a welcoming atmosphere that will yield increased foot traffic that businesses can benefit from. A healthy business climate can attract new businesses to campus (Portillos, anyone?), which increases local spending and brings about greater tax yields to benefit the local community.

In a broader sense, the buildup of a strong urban core with a multitude of centralized amenities can discourage sprawl and bring forth a more cohesive Champaign-Urbana and campus community.