It’s on us to address sexual assault

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

“It’s on us to stop sexual assault.” This message, and variations of it, have rung from the mouths of public figures, ranging from Steve Carell to President Obama. In the “It’s on us” campaign, started by the latter just last year, the president called on the public to stop sexual assault, namely on college campuses.

And recently, students at the University have been following the example of various celebrities and public figures who have participated in videos promoting the importance of this campaign by making videos of their own. 

Matthew Hill, vice president of the Illinois Student Senate, has been one of many to help push the on-campus efforts, and there are currently three University videos in the name of the “It’s on us” campaign. The videos have been graced by predominant campus figures such as Phyllis Wise, members of the Greek community and student athletes. 

These short videos have been shared on Youtube and featured at football and basketball games. The most recent video was released within the last week. 

The unbridled support from the campus community for ending the epidemic of sexual assault is much needed and deserves recognition. Considering the low rates of reported assault, compared to the estimated 20 percent of women who will experience sexual assault during college, these video promotions serve to increase awareness and support of this major issue, instilling fear and concern in many students.

To promote the end of sexual assault is an important message, and the fact that this campus initiative was launched by students is notable, as well. At such a large campus with such a wide array of individuals, seeing the desire to spread this message come from not only University faculty, but also students, helps create a community of support for any potential victim.

The repetition throughout the videos that “it’s on us to never blame the victim” can hopefully create a more open and safer space for any victims of sexual assault to come forward with their cases and realize that people are taking note of this problem. These videos are a much needed call to action that have the potential to greatly increase awareness of an evident issue on college campuses and hopefully promote further efforts to address the problem.

In an overwhelmingly vulnerable environment for sexual assaults to happen, announcements and decrees of support and recognition only create a safer space for students. These University-affiliated videos addressed the issues of being a bystander, as well as keeping people close to you accountable for their actions.

No matter how awkward and uncomfortable intervening may be for some, these messages ultimately do an amazing job of bringing this issue to light on this campus, and we hope this is just one of many efforts by the University community to help address sexual assault.

Clarification: A previous version this article stated Matt Hill, Vice President-External of the Illinois Student Senate, spearheaded the “Its on us” campaign. Hill is one of several senators working on the campaign. The Daily Illini regrets this error.